Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boy graduated to a 20 gauge yesterday after asking about a better option than 410 for ducks. I told him he could try 20 gauge if he wanted but I didn't think he'd like the recoil. The only youth 20 I have is my first gun I bought at 9 years old, 21 years ago at Max Blues General Store in Burnsville, NC. He shot it yesterday at some pumpkins and clays and said it was great and asked if Id pass it down to him. He took 3 wood duck drakes today with it with 3 shells. I had to hold back tears of pride and from all the memories I made with that little shotgun and the thought of all the new ones he will make with it. Proud as I could be, and hoping now he'll want to try upland birds maybe.
Jeans Water Plant Tree People in nature

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank y'all. That boy is somthing. It's a pain trying to find a high quality 20 in a sidexside or over/under. He doesn't like the looks of the Brownings. To shiny he says.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thank y'all. That boy is somthing. It's a pain trying to find a high quality 20 in a sidexside or over/under. He doesn't like the looks of the Brownings. To shiny he says.
That's a shame...I saw a nice Citori Superlight with 24" barrels and English stock this past weekend, but I know that's 2-3/4 only and you are probably wanting a 3" gun.

Ruger Red Label if you can find one might be a good choice. I've heard mixed reviews about the Stevens 555, but have a friend whose kids shot a TriStar o/u for youth trap and doves and if that would hold up to them, it's a decent gun. I'm guessing he would shoot the o/u better than a sxs. Most people naturally do, just because sighting between the barrels of a sxs is kind of an acquired thing...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a shame...I saw a nice Citori Superlight with 24" barrels and English stock this past weekend, but I know that's 2-3/4 only and you are probably wanting a 3" gun.

Ruger Red Label if you can find one might be a good choice. I've heard mixed reviews about the Stevens 555, but have a friend whose kids shot a TriStar o/u for youth trap and doves and if that would hold up to them, it's a decent gun. I'm guessing he would shoot the o/u better than a sxs. Most people naturally do, just because sighting between the barrels of a sxs is kind of an acquired thing...
I shoot a Dickinson Sidexside 20 and he really likes that but he doesn't like the splinter forend. I'd love to find him a real nice American made shotgun but that's a tall order.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts