Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in light of the hallowell discussion and frustration with a certain member of said board...a proposal that would make AGFC commissioners elected officials (every 4 year), salary comparable to General Assembly, and less tax money (currently 1/8 of 1% of property tax), and more has been blocked for the 3rd time by the attorney general here's more:

LITTLE ROCK — Attorney General Dustin McDaniel today rejected proposed constitutional amendments that would change how state Game and Fish Commission members are selected and reduce the agency’s conservation tax.

Both proposals were filed on behalf of a group called Sportsmen 2010. One would require commissioners to be elected and paid like legislators. The other would reduce the sales tax that benefits the agency and others from 1/8-cent to 1/14-cent.

Both proposals were filed by Jimmy White of Manila, chairman of the Sportsmen 2010.

The Game and Fish Commission was created as an independent state agency in 1944 when voters approved Amendment 35 to the Arkansas Constitution. The seven members are appointed by the governor.

In rejecting the proposal that would require commission members be elected and paid like members of the General Assembly, McDaniel said the measure was ambiguous.

“First, it appears unclear whether you intend … to impose a limitation on the total number of four-year terms a commissioner may serve, regardless of whether the commissioner is succeeding himself or herself, and regardless of whether the terms are successive,” McDaniel said.

Among several other problems cited, McDaniel said the proposal was not clear whether the commissioners would receive annual salary increases based on the Consumer Price Index, like the General Assembly, or whether they could receive expense reimbursements.

“I cannot certify a ballot title for your proposed amendment in the face of these ambiguities,” McDaniel said. “These confusing and ambiguous points must be remedied before I can perform my statutory duty.”

In rejecting the proposal to reduce the 1/8-cent conservation tax to 1/14-cent, McDaniel said he could not certify it “because the text of the proposed constitutional amendment you seek to have adopted” was not submitted.
“Instead, you have a submitted a line-edited copy of Amendment 75 — a document that can best be described as a work-in-progress preliminary to a finished product.”

The conservation sales tax was approved as Amendment 75 by voters in 1996. The commission receives 45 percent of the revenue, as does the Arkansas state parks. The Arkansas Heritage Commission receives 9 percent and 1 percent goes to the keep Arkansas Beautiful Commission.

White did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment today.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
He's a moron

McDaniel is a moron. Fortunately I knew this when he lived here and didn't vote for him in the first place. However, if you are a sportsmen and aren't stupid, you should vote against him in the next election!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i think its a great proposal. sure it prolly has a deep rooted cause of keeping big lake blinds. but i think elected commissioners is the way to go. plus i'm all about reducing their salaries. i think in order to clear up who's in charge of the AGFC and who they report to its best to clear them out of the sales tax and use just their own funding (natural gas, land sales, timber). this would make them more proactive in conservation (WRP, CRP, etc) and more liable to snatch land up instead of sitting on their money and never spending it.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Just so everyone knows commissioners do not get paid, so they have no salaries right now. I will lobby hard against the general public getting to vote on commissioners. Sounds like somebody is mad about his duck blind not being private anymore so he is willing to throw the kids under the bus. Wonder how anyone could figure the general public voting on anything to do with our wildlife is a good thing. Sour grapes plain and simple. I hope it gets struck down everytime.

And I am all for them getting no sales tax money as well. Just not for the same reason. Right now because they get sales tax monies the general public has some say so. I would rather them get no money and up license than get some dillweed tree huggers be able to vote.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was said on another forum that if it is modified it should be so that the general public gets to vote and then the governor approves a set number of the winners in the election. that way you dont change the wording of the current amendment that gives governor the right to say who is a commish and it gives the public some input without having all the control. that keeps the huggers from voting a fellow hugger in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
McDaniel is a moron. Fortunately I knew this when he lived here and didn't vote for him in the first place. However, if you are a sportsmen and aren't stupid, you should vote against him in the next election!!!!
SA, do you really know him? Know him well? Well enough to call him a moron? Dustin, although he switched parties to get elected, is a great guy, and probably still a republican in his heart. He's a sportsman like us, he hunts a lot, and is someone I want representing us as hunters. Now, if your a sportsman and are stupid, vote against him next time.
(disclaimer: I'm a Rep, always have been, and always will be, but I'm not afraid to cross party lines when someone who's beliefs and stance is similar to mine)

·
Registered
41 Posts
As for the question are we the minority.... Probably not. However, the tree hugging minority has a lot more money than we do. Suck up your pride and deal with it. THEY have the $$ and the ability to scare the crap out of the fence sitters. They will mis represent any issue to sway people to their side.
I work in the Poultry Industry, a pretty big part of Arkansas' economy, and you would not believe the stories out there about how hormones and inhumane rearing practices rule the industry. These Animal rights people are kissin' cousins of the anti hunting crowd. So if you want your beloved sport to be gone in say, 10 years, put the commisioners spots up for vote.

PS. Heard of a group killing 10 limits in the Metro by 8 this morning. Just sayin....

·
Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>www.blackopsduckcalls.c
761 Posts
As for the question are we the minority.... Probably not. However, the tree hugging minority has a lot more money than we do. Suck up your pride and deal with it. THEY have the $$ and the ability to scare the crap out of the fence sitters. They will mis represent any issue to sway people to their side.
I work in the Poultry Industry, a pretty big part of Arkansas' economy, and you would not believe the stories out there about how hormones and inhumane rearing practices rule the industry. These Animal rights people are kissin' cousins of the anti hunting crowd. So if you want your beloved sport to be gone in say, 10 years, put the commisioners spots up for vote.

PS. Heard of a group killing 10 limits in the Metro by 8 this morning. Just sayin....
What's that all about......Hell, I think we're on the same page......I was just pointing out that in the great state of Arkansas I don't think we're the minority.....I also don't believe that we're the minority on money either, but none of that changes the fact that I don't disagree with what you're saying...at least for the most part

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
How many people are there in AR? We sale about 300,000 license a year. Do the math. National averages show hunters to make up 10% and anti's to make up about 10%. That leaves 80% up in the air to be swayed by whomever puts up the biggest smoke screen or is able to present believable facts. Not odds I want for the future of hunting. Stupid proposal still.

·
Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>www.blackopsduckcalls.c
761 Posts
How many people are there in AR? We sale about 300,000 license a year. Do the math. National averages show hunters to make up 10% and anti's to make up about 10%. That leaves 80% up in the air to be swayed by whomever puts up the biggest smoke screen or is able to present believable facts. Not odds I want for the future of hunting. Stupid proposal still.
I would love to see the actual stats on that.....If I were guessing I would've said that 65% of the state hunts or supports it, but that is strictly a guess.....I am NOT for the proposal, but I'm not for the current way either......I would think there are more hunters than 10% in Arkansas though?.....and you can almost count on them and all their families supporting anything that benefits hunters

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

grandpappy in the ozarks dont need no stinking liscense

if you believe that number accuarately represents the hunters in arkansas then im sure you trust duck numbers and harvests, along with deer numbers and harvests. i can think of 5 extended family members that have 8 deer in the freezer apiece and nary a one checked or tagged...do i condone it? no. do i speak to them? no. thats how they are and their daddies daddy was.

what happened to that outcry on the hallowell thread about agfc messing it up then when a proposal comes to change the way they do things no one wants part?:head:

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Tony, all was good until we (us hunters & fishermen) got Who-Doo'ed into helping them get Admendment 76 passed. The moment it was approved the Game & Fish went from that to the Game & Fish & Everyone else! And now looking back, if one had it to do over again, just what more benifits do we (hunters & fishermen) have that we really didn't have before! Folks need to go back & mark that day on your calender cause it was the day the beginning of all this started!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts