Prop?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by greenhead22, Dec 5, 2012.

1. greenhead22

greenhead22 Well-Known Member

I have a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I currently have a stainless 13 pitch. Which prop would be better for all around hunting a 10 or 11 pitch prop.

2. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

Lots of questions got to be answered:

What kind of boat?
    Do you have a tach, if so, what RPMs is the current prop spinning?
    Do you run a CMC?

3. greenhead22

Xpress 1546 semi v. No cmc yet

4. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

With a load in your boat, I would think a 11 would run good. A 10 may push your RPM's too high, a rpm reading would help you decide. Have you tried a 12?

5. greenhead22

6. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

I had the exact same setup. 12pitch stainless is perfect. If you regularly carry 3 people with lots of gear, then maybe the 11pitch

7. stumpy waters

stumpy waters Account Suspended

I would just invest in a faster pair of sneakers.

8. CrappieMaster220

CrappieMaster220 Well-Known Member

I have a 2 stroke 25 Yamaha.... I just bought an 11 pitch, when I get on it in a turn the prop seems to "spin out". I'd go with a 12 pitch if I was you.

9. clarkduck

clarkduck Well-Known Member

A little cup in your 11 pitch would help you out z.

10. greenhead22

How fast is that 11 pitch pushing you? I'm not concerned too much with speed,just want an improvement from that 13 pitch.

11. SuthrnThundr

SuthrnThundr Well-Known Member

ran that motor for a day on a 1651db with an 11p. wouldn't even put it on pad. I bet the 11p would do fine with your smaller hull. BIG improvement over that 13p.

12. madduck87

madduck87 Well-Known Member

12pitch stainless on the same boat with a 25 merc 2 stroke.....3rd pin hole run 29-31 with two people and gear, 3 people and gear drops down to 24-25, 4 people and gear and i can still get on plane

13. greenhead22

Now I don't know what would be a better choice an 11 or 12. We hunt 3 out of my boat a lot, but don't want to have too much prop when I'm by my self.