Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being drawn for two different hunts this year I am going to be spending quite a bit of time with the smokepole. I was wondering what you guys liked for projectiles.

I've always favored slightly lighter weights like 250 gr. because of the velocity I can achieve. There is potential for 150+ yard shots where I hunt and while I know 200 is really pushing the envelope I like to know I can shoot 150 without a foot of holdover. For instance, deer I killed last year was at 121 yds. and I knew where to hold.

Currently I am shooting TC Shockwaves in 250gr. While they have worked on two deer for me, I am not satisfied with the results I've gotten. Neither has been a pass through and there was significant jacket separation both times. I know it seems silly to complain since both deer died, but neither was a large animal and I have concerns about hitting bone on a larger buck.

Any real experience and help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Jacketed bullets at muzzleloader speeds don't always mushroom like we wish they would. If they're close a jacketed bullet will do fine, but past 100 yards it's iffy. All-lead bullets tend to work best at all velocities. You might get a little less weight retention up close, but better penetration and expansion out further. The bullet my CVA likes best is an all-lead Buffalo Bullet 285gr sabot, and it shoots like a champ. I popped a doe at 75-80 yards last fall and when she was done spinning she hit the ground and didn't move again.

They went out of business so I can't find them anymore. The closest thing I can find to that bullet design is the Precision Rifle Bullet Co's Extreme Elite. It's a hollow point spitzer in 240, 260, 300 and 330gr. I've heard a lot of good stuff about their bullets, and I just ordered 5 dozen in several different weights to try in my new Omega. I can let you know next weekend how they shoot :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...look forward to the report.

I actually got pretty good expansion, it was the jacket seperation that bothered me. Both bullets expanded pretty well.

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
My son and I have had superb luck using the Barnes copper sabot bullet in our Knight DISC rifles. They are sold under the Knight name as the Red Hot bullet. They are a 250 grain solid copper hollow point, and the only bullets we have recovered have been end to end shots, and then it's just under the skin on the far end. On the double lung shots, the exit hole has been about the size of my fist.

Here's a couple of pics of the original and recovered bullet...

·
Registered
875 Posts
No Mr. Chitlin that is a three shot group. It took me two seasons to get that confounded Remington to shoot good. I tried all kinds of sabots and projectiles. It wasn't until I bought those MZ's and dropped my powder charge. I guess I even use that thing more than 7 mm mag. now. Seems to me age and surgeries have a negative effect when it comes to RECOIL.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
You shoot a 54??
Yes, because it's a good "historical" (or hysterical) compromise. I'm trying to emulate our pre-revolutionary war forefathers in technology and equipment. Calibers back then were all over the map; a gunsmith would have to make a custom bullet mold for the mandrel-formed rifle barrel he'd made. .54 is pretty close to the middle of the range for that era, and still easily available. Call me old fashioned!

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I've got a 54 Knight MK85 in the safe. Had a 54 TC Renegade before that, and my son used a 54 Knight Wolverine. We have since gone to the 50, but I still have the MK85. I think I still have a lot of 54 round balls (.530 Speer) and some old Poly-Patches, if you remember what they were. If I can find the stuff, I'll send it to you. The MK85 has too fast of a twist for the round balls. I still have quite a few boxes of the 54 cal 425 grain Buffalo Bullets. Seems like I bought them on clearance at WM for a buck or 2 a box. They brought down a lot of deer in their days.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Cool! I like them big punkin's. I'm not sure my slow rifling will stabilize a buffler bullet (and my shoulder is still thinking about those 425 grains :eek:).

I need to shoot more, more of everything. Lead is always appreciated! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have used Barnes MZ's for over 10 years now. I use a Remington 700ML with only 95 grains of pyrodex and my moa is .25" at 100 yards.
I'm struggling trying to figure out how you are getting three .45" bullets to group inside of .25" What am I missing?

·
Administrator
87,182 Posts
I'm struggling trying to figure out how you are getting three .45" bullets to group inside of .25" What am I missing?
When you measure center to center, the 3 shot hole would only be about .68" outside to outside. Basically just an enlarged 45 caliber hole.

I'm trying to figure out why he's wanting to get a new gun if he has a 1/4" gun now. If I had a 1/4" muzzle loader, there's no way I'd want another rifle. Most factory centerfire rifles won't shoot 1/4" without a LOT of work, much less a muzzle loader!!

I'd like to see some pics of the groups.

See post #11 in this thread...

http://arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=38305

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.