Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just tossing this out on the chance someone here could lead me in the direction of a private gun club or range somewhere in the NW AR region. I belong to an indoor range here, but am looking for something with more options...esp. a long range for rifles.

Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
1,422 Posts
I believe the "shooting range" at Weddington is still there. My advice for Weddington is: Shoot at you own risk. Dangerous doesn't even come close. It is not an organized shooting range. I used to shoot out there in college quite a bit. Was out there one day and a bunch of "Hispanic Americans" showed up in a mini van. About 27 of them piled out of that van. They were blaring Mexican Pinata music and shooting various AK-47s and other assault type rifles. Others were shooting pistols, and some were shooting shotguns. No targets of any kind. Just shooting up in the air and at the ground. I was very uncomfortable with the situation. Show up anytime near the opening weekend of rifle season and you better be wearing Kevlar. I never seen so many idiots doing stupid things with firearms.

Go see Phil at Ozark Sportsman. He was always a good source for imformation.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
'Twas a trip to go shoot at Weddington while in college that eventually led me to a taching assistantship that paid for my master's degree, and the job I have now. That is a long story, but back in the mid-90's, it wasn't too bad out there. Folks would actually come out just to pick up the trash and remind people to shoot safe! I guess that's all changed now! :smack:

I can think of several places I USED to shoot that are now shopping centers and fancy houses. The housing boom was hard on shooters!

· Registered
6,796 Posts
I went out in the Weddington woods "range" during the '80's. It was usually empty during the week..... maybe one or 2 others, but I have seen some 'interesting' folks there too. I avoid ranges around season openings!!!

I was halfway joking, and am surprised it's still open.

Tommy

· Registered
5,974 Posts
'Twas a trip to go shoot at Weddington while in college that eventually led me to a taching assistantship that paid for my master's degree, and the job I have now. That is a long story, but back in the mid-90's, it wasn't too bad out there. Folks would actually come out just to pick up the trash and remind people to shoot safe! I guess that's all changed now! :smack:

I can think of several places I USED to shoot that are now shopping centers and fancy houses. The housing boom was hard on shooters!
Heck, places I used to hunt at are now $250,000 homes, or schools, or shopping areas. The wife and I are from here, and it was luck of the draw we got stationed here, but of late we are thinking of retiring in some other state. I love AR, but every where you turn it's a strip mall or housing development going in. Even if the newest one across town is still empty. :smack:

· Registered
11,693 Posts
There's an ok range in Bela Vista. It has a pistol range with 10,25 and 50 yard targets and a rifle range just next to it with 50 and 100 yard targets. I don't remember exactly where it is, but if you know anyone who is a member of the POA there you can get a map to it at the town center on the west side of hwy 71.

· Registered
635 Posts
The Hobbs range is the only public range in NW AR. The shooting area on Wedington closed about 5 years ago and there are numerous signs that state "no shooting". The reason it still shows up on Google earth is the amount of brass and lead in the soil there. Nothing can grow.

· Registered
6,796 Posts
....... The shooting area on Wedington closed about 5 years ago and there are numerous signs that state "no shooting". The reason it still shows up on Google earth is the amount of brass and lead in the soil there. Nothing can grow.

I'm not surprised the Weddington area is closed... just out of 'general principle'.

I figure that 30+ years of foot and vehicle traffic are more reason for lack of vegetation than brass and lead. As from firearms, neither of which are an issue for plant or animal life... well, except at muzzle velocities! I bet there are a more than a few tons of trash and glass embedded in that area too!

Tommy

· Registered
620 Posts
How NW are you?

There is a private range located just outside of Dardanelle which is owned by the Arkansas River Valley Gun Club. It has a 200 yard range, a 100 yard range and a separate pistol range.

Membership is 50 a year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.