• Add Primative Firearms to Muzzleloader Season

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Leave Muzzleloader Season the way it is

Votes: 71 68.9%
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mississippi and Louisiana have changed the rules on muzzleloading season to include single shot rifles of the pre 1900 era. Would you like Arkansas to make this change also or stay with muzzleloaders only.

I am not sure how to make this a poll can someone add that to this post and tell me how to do it.

LC

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I'm thinking if you call a wepon primitive, it should be primitive. In-line muzzle loaders and single shot center fire rifles aren't very primitve.

There's a few states that have flintlock-only hunts,(Pennsylvania springs to mind) now that's primitive.

Not trying to start a fight here, I just feel that we should keep the technologies separated, and make dang sure everybody has a season to hunt in, regardless how they're armed. :biggrin:

· Registered
24 Posts
I was always under the impression that the muzzleloader season was supposed to be for primitave guns only. Today, the gun manufacturers have succesfully taken the "primitave" meaning out of the season. When a gun can shoot 200 yards accurately, there isn't anything primitave about it anymore. I just think that the muzzleloader season of today is just another modern gun season with a different name. I still shoot a CVA .50 caliber with iron sights and BLACK POWDER not pyrodex. I want to wave smoke and smell rotten eggs when I shoot. That's just part of the experience for me. I gotta tell ya it is hard to find black powder for me. My dad got me a can a while back ago and that will last me for a while but I don't know what I'll do when that is all gone.

· Registered
4,388 Posts
bbaldridge,

I know what you mean. But I also like the idea of using black powder. I also think there's nothing wrong with using a damascus shotgun or trapdoor rifle with a metallic cartridge either. The state could add another ten dollar license fee as a metallic cartridge primitive weapon fee and everyone would be happy. After all, they're not some secret weapon that are gonna kill deer that a inline won't. What it will allow is the opportunity for a novice who doesn't like the idea of himself or his children having access to black powder (explosives) in the house.

If a person can go to his local sporting goods store and purchase rimfire or centerfire black powder 45-70 cartridges and not have to worry about having cannister powder in the house it may open the door for other hunters to enjoy the sport.

How many stories have I heard in my life of persons injured or killed by black powder rifles? Many. I consider metallic black powder cartridges safer than loading from the muzzle. Electro-static discharge makes black powder do strange things.

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
I don't want to have to get a new gun that I can only shoot 4 days a year.

Leave it B
I don't think anyone is suggesting that you would have to buy a new gun, it's just another option.

Personally, I could care less about the smoke and smell. If they'd make a powder substitute that wouldn't smoke, I'd buy it in a New York minute. If they made single shot hammer guns legal, I'd probably get one. As was stated above, the only thing primitive about today's muzzle loaders is that you load them from the muzzle. My son and I hunt with inline DISC rifles, and with the 3x9 scopes on them, they can easily shoot accurately out to 150 yards or more.

Same with bows, take these flat shooting cam bows, there's noting that compares to the "stick and string" that was used when the original bow seasons were set up years ago. Who would have dreamed that bows would have evolved into what they are today.

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I was always under the impression that the muzzleloader season was supposed to be for primitave guns only. Today, the gun manufacturers have succesfully taken the "primitave" meaning out of the season. When a gun can shoot 200 yards accurately, there isn't anything primitave about it anymore. I just think that the muzzleloader season of today is just another modern gun season with a different name. I still shoot a CVA .50 caliber with iron sights and BLACK POWDER not pyrodex. I want to wave smoke and smell rotten eggs when I shoot. That's just part of the experience for me. I gotta tell ya it is hard to find black powder for me. My dad got me a can a while back ago and that will last me for a while but I don't know what I'll do when that is all gone.
I couldn't have said it better, I wish it was still primitive.

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts
I couldn't have said it better, I wish it was still primitive.
To each their own.If you wanna hunt with primitive weapons,then do so.if you want a inline, then do so.I don't think their is a law saying you can't be as primitive as you like.Get yourself a flintlock and get after it.

I think that the amount of deer we have now compared to years past has to do with agfc allowing in-lines:

They want a high percentage killed.

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For you guys saying that you do not want to buy another gun, you would not have to you could still use your inline or traditional muzzleloader. I'm shocked with the poll numbers so far. Most wanted inlines to become legal, everybody seem to want them so they could use scopes and shotgun primers and such(not very primitive). I still use my T/C Renegade .50 cal with iron sights, but I would like to use my Winchester 1885 in 45-70. Other states are starting to make these pre 1900 era single shots available to use during muzzloader season and I think they have no more power or range than inlines do. If inlines are legal I do not see a problem with the pre 1900 era single shots being legal. Guys we have enough deer now that people should be able to enjoy these old guns during the muzzleloader season. They are not an advantage over inlines now. If you are against pre 1900 era single shots it looks like you would be against inlines and scopes for muzzleloaders also.

LC

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
After reading and thinking a bit, I'd love to see the older pre-1900 single shot centerfire shootin' irons allowed in the "primitive firearms" season. Like's been said, you can still use your black-powder fueled flinter if you need more primitive in your life.

One potential for disaster I can see, however, is the WO trying to sort out who's centerfire rifle is legal and who's ain't. Keeping the laws along the lines of the ammo used keeps the WO's from getting confused. Just a thought.

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
Without looking back at the previous post, I think LA made it .38 caliber or above. Personally, I like the idea. It just gives one more option. Just because that option is there doesn't mean you have to use it. I'd love to hunt with a 45/70 single shot.

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Below is the rules with caliber and a list of the Mississippi primitive firearms for muzzleloader season.

This an approved list that we have for the new public notice on the breechloading sigle shot rifles, kind or type manufactured before 1900 with an exposed hammer, .38 cal or larger.

This list is by no means exclusive. This is just a list comprised of commonly available rifles.

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE PRIMATIVE WEAPONS:

Sharps rifles or replicas
Remington Rollingblock rifles or replicas
Ballard rifles
Maynard rifles or replicas
Burnside carbines
Frank Wesson rifles
Remington Hepburn rifles
M1873-1888 Springfield (trapdoor) Rifles and Carbines and replicas
Snider (British) rifles or replicas
Wesson & Harrington 1871 Rifles
New England Firearms or Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles
Winchester M1885 Hi Wall or Lo Wall rifles or replicas (Also Browning B78 or 1885)

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE NOT PRIMATIVE WEAPONS!!!!

Ruger Number 1 and Number 3 (no exposed hammer)
Thompson Center Contender or Encore Carbines (designed after 1900)
Mossberg SSi Single Shot Rifle (no exposed hammer and designed after 1900)

LC

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.