Price-gouging companies to avoid/boycott?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by paxcolt, Dec 19, 2012.

1. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

Conway
    If anybody hears of any companies that are trying to profit off of this tragedy/potential new bans by jacking up their prices, post them here so we can all avoid giving them our business. The only example I have right now is CheaperThanDirt. They marked standard 30-rd P-mags up to $59.99!!!! Apparently they got some backlash because they dropped it to $30, which is still twice what they should be. Oh well, I didn't need any of their crappy Made in China AR accessories anyway.

2. Arkansas Archer

Arkansas Archer Well-Known Member

So far everywhere I've looked is driving prices up. Mags are the worst it seems.

3. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    CTD is one of the worst there is. Right after Oblamer got elected in '08 and ammo was in short supply, CTD was selling 1000 rounds of M855 for $999.99.

4. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    All I can say is I'm very impressed with Ozark armory in Springdale. They didn't raise prices on any guns, and sold their PMAG for $20 and now only have metal mags left and they are $20. Not unreasonable.

5. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

I've got only one complaint against OA2, that they charge you sales tax on your FFL transfer, not the $25 or whatever FFL fee, but tax on how much you paid for the weapon. so you're paying sales tax twice

6. dlfarley

dlfarley Well-Known Member

Well I had a comment removed from the trading post so I'll comment here. I think were already seeing some gouging. I'll be curious to see how many people join sights like this just to try to take advantage of the situation.

7. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

my bet is a large portion will

8. mwmwbm

mwmwbm Well-Known Member

WOW! i just saw what you are talking about.

9. I saw that too. I won't post what I really think

10. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

It's just good old capitalism. Supply and demand. Price gouging is jacking up prices on things like gas, milk and bread. I say more power to him.

11. dlfarley

Fair enough, but yet there's folks on here that get bent out of shape when a "low ball offer" is made on an item they're selling. Just good old capitalism I say. Supply and demand. :flag: :up:

12. NorthUnit

NorthUnit Well-Known Member

Monday and Tuesday at Ft Thompson a case of 500 bullets for 5.56/223 was $199.99. Yesterday they were $250.00 for the same stuff.

Price gouging or supply/demand?

13. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    They have the supply, the market is making the demand. If there's enough demand someone will pay it.

14. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

It is insane, I have been planning on starting the AR game for Christmas, got gift cards coming to places to pick the gun out, ammo, accessories, etc. But looks like I picked the worse timing in the world and may get left out in the cold.

15. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    use Fayetteville Firearms, $15 transfer no tax...

16. paxcolt

Conway
    WOW!!! I just saw what you're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  17. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Gents, it's a free market out there. The guys that always talked about getting an AR but always put it off till a rainy day are the ones that flooded the gun stores on Saturday buying everything in sight. If no one will pay the asking price it will start coming down. I'm sure there are people that went out Saturday and bought several AR's on their credit card to try to make some $$. When the bill comes due next month and they are still sitting on those unsold AR's the prices will adjust accordingly.

Supply and demand, if I have it and you want it bad enough you will pay my asking price.

Magpul mags were $12 last week. After the shooting on Friday CTD raised their price to $59.97 and sold out. There's no way I would ever do business with CTD but I know people that just love them.

18. paxcolt

Conway
    I fully support free markets & capitalism, and I understand supply and demand. I'm also well aware that "there's a sucker born every minute" and "a fool and his money are soon parted". If people are stupid enough to buy things at prices that do not accurately represent the current supply situation, that's their fault. But I'm not going to support a business that does that. A slight markup to hedge against possible supply decreases? Fine. But not instantly upping the price to 5 times what it was the day before soley to exploit the ingnorant/fearful. Magpul has already denounced that practice on its Facebook page.

What bothers me more than corporations doing it is the fact that it is happening on this very site. There are plenty of sites/trading posts/forums out there set up specifically for buying/trading stuff. To me, this site has always been more than that. This is a community of (mostly :biggrin:) very good folks who come together to share thoughts, ideas, and stories; to lift one another up; and even physically or monetarily lend a hand when one of us is in need. To try and make an obscenely high profit off the potential ignorance/fear of your fellow members here is........slimy, at best. Take that crap somewhere else. Rant off.

19. dlfarley

:clap: :clap:

20. I bought a box full of mags before all this happened. The 7.62x39 are sold out all over and the prices are up to $300 or higher per 1000 in the advertisements. Prices are definitely going up fast.