Pretty Sad After Kill

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by HuntMasterFlex, Nov 29, 2012.

1. HuntMasterFlex

HuntMasterFlex Well-Known Member

Had two deer come in Sunday mid morning. A mature doe and what looked like a doe behind it. I saw them coming from 70 or so yards away so I had plenty of time to stand up, hook on my release and prepare for the shot. The first deer walked right up and under my stand at 10 yards and I put an arrow right through her heart. The deer ran 20 yards and toppled. The other deer had no idea what was going on. Thats when I saw it was a button buck and realized I had just killed its mother. The button looked at me and I looked back at it. It then ran over to where its mother lay motionless. The button walked around waiting for about 5 minutes and didn't run off until I began to climb down the tree. While gutting the doe I found that she was lactating which confirmed that it was her yearling following her. I've been putting extra corn out where I shot the doe in hopes the button will find it. I think this may have messed me up a bit. I'm usually a meat hunter but I'm not sure anymore. Ever happen to anyone else?

2. ol bucky

ol bucky Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Dont worry that little buck will be just fine......

3. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

hmmm...the BB would have probably tried to hump the doe it you didnt kill it. DOn't sweat the small stuff.

4. beltcutter

beltcutter Well-Known Member

That button will be just fine. He will find another group sooner or later to join up with.

5. Razorback123

Razorback123 Super Member<br>The Original BBDH

yep its happened to me before. He will be alright,if he was old enough/ big enough that you thought it was another doe then he will definately survive. you just gotta move on!

6. geslayton

geslayton Well-Known Member

This late in the year it will be just fine. I am actually really surprised she hadn't kicked it off yet so she could breed.

7. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Yep, I killed a doe years ago in White River refuge around 1986 and the yearling was about 50 yards behind her. I didn't see it until after I had shot the doe. It followed me all the way out to the truck.

8. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Well-Known Member

It happens and as it was said the little buck will be fine, it probably wouldn't be long before she ran him off anyway.

9. mwells72774

mwells72774 Well-Known Member

that would be a tough one to deal with.

10. x2

11. duck

duck Well-Known Member

I hate to see people shoot momma does if the young ones are still in spots but this little buck will make it just fine. You will get over it , especially when The old does son is a big 10 point in 3 or 4 years from now.:up:

12. THExONE

THExONE Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting

Very first deer I killed was a mom with two yearlings. They both hung around until I went to gut the doe. Pretty rough on me for my first hunt. I was 16. Never hunted before that as no one in my family hunts. I almost never went again because I love animals. I got over it when we cooked up the back strap though.

You will be fine by morning. Its part of it and the little knot head will be fine. I understand your feelings though.

13. Whitebread

Whitebread Well-Known Member

Yep, It's happened to me before too.

14. Arkansas Archer

Arkansas Archer Well-Known Member

Would have been a short drag if it would have followed me to my truck. Camp meat...:)

15. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

I did it Wednesday by mistake. Same situation

16. HuntMasterFlex

HuntMasterFlex Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. Except the yuppie one! Hopefully me and that button will meet again when he is a little older.

17. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

It's happened to me, too. Shake it off.

18. Ktalbertfirefighter

Ktalbertfirefighter Well-Known Member

Ive done it before if you shoot the big one first the little one will stand around fot the follow up shot

19. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    That button certainly does not need his mother any more. She may have still have milk in her teats, but I'd doubt he's still nursing, or even if he was, he doesnt need to. Biologically speaking you absolutely 100% did the right thing.

Personally, it doesnt bother me a bit, but I've certainly never had one follow me back to the truck. I've never been one to read "emotion" into the actions of animals. Fawns follow their mothers because they've been doing since they were born and deer are social animals. I do not think that they have emotions. They may resist leaving their mother because they dont know what else to do, but it's not because they're "sad" or because of "love".

That said, hunting is all about your own ethics and morals, and if you're not comfortable with shooting does with fawns, that's cool too.