Prescription drug prices

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by Polywog, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Had to see the Dr. this morning with a sinus infection/crud in the lungs junk and he gave me a prescription for 5 pills, total cost $180.00 (out of my pocket).. How the crap do folks afford to get sick??:smack:

2. n2deer

n2deer Well-Known Member

The bad thing is the Dr didnt give you any idea the cost of the pills. There was probally a generic or something else the Dr could have gave you. My wife has had this happen twice with the same Dr in Conway and she told her up front that she couldnt afford prescriptions over the co-pay.

3. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Well-Known Member

I didn't know they came back off a 10 day course of antibiotics...

But to answer your question, the ones that cant afford it just go to the ER where they are treated and sent a bill later, a bill that will often times not get paid, just passed on to John Q Taxpayer.

4. I didn't know they came back off a 10 day course of antibiotics...

Levaquin

5. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

What med's did he give you? Levaquin?
    Some doctors don't know or don't care if there is a generic.

6. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

I was typing when you wrote that....Levaquin doesn't have a generic and it is a really strong antibiotic. Did he try you on something else first or was this the first prescription?

7. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Well-Known Member

Geezoo! That is one of the hefties!! I wouldn't touch that stuff unless death was a serious potential consequence of NOT taking it.

8. First try.. I have a really bad habit of getting Pneumonia.. So he tries to knock anything in my lungs out as fast as he can.. I'm not complaining about my Doc (he's pulled my dumb arse out of the fire so many times it's not funny).. It's the dang pharmacutical/health insurance companies that I don't understand..

9. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

My dad has pneumonia constantly too. He has a lot of lung problems right now and on the lung transplant list in Houston.

I bet that the company that makes Levaquin will be losing their patent before too long. There is only so much money that they can shell out before the court will turn them down.

10. sportsmanetc

sportsmanetc Well-Known Member

Polywog,
    did insurance pay for any of it? If so, I would shop around pharmacies. I had a prescription that I was paying almost $50 a month for and had been for years. Decided to check somewhere else (because of rude behavior) and found that I could have gotten it for $15 dollars a month. WTH! So, I check around anymore.

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Truth is, you likely didn't even need those pills. Time would have took care of it.
    But Doctors are in with Big Pharma and get kickbacks for prescribing drugs.
    These are the times we live in.

Oh, remember that anti-biotics destroy the good bacteria in your gut. Considering how strong the one's you are taking are, I highly recommend you take a pro-biotic and eat some yogurt every day. Anti-Biotics destroy everything good in your body along with the bad.
    They allow us to live longer for sure, but at a cost. IBS, is just one negative of taking anti-biotics.

Im not a Doctor, just someone who was mis-treated by one with over prescription of anti-biotics.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  12. pls1456

pls1456 Well-Known Member

We found out my son has a heart issue had a prescription sent to Walgreens (close to our house) and it was costing us 150 bucks a month, well needless to say I had words with a smarta** that worked their over his rudeness and decided to switch pharmacies, the same meds. now cost a whopping 20 bucks. So I would second the motion to shop around next time.

13. thomasw_lrd

thomasw_lrd Well-Known Member

And while you're at it, don't go to the Benton Wal-Mart pharmacy either, half the time they wouldn't even run the insurance until after I complained about it.

14. stick n string

stick n string Well-Known Member

Warren

Levofloxacin is generic Levaquin

15. bslayer

bslayer Well-Known Member

nea
    try taking 14 pills a day. without insurance with drug coverage, i would have been a gonner years ago.

16. cacheman

cacheman Well-Known Member

Here is a link to Canada 4 Meds. It's free to use and as long as you have a prescription, you can shop for drugs in other countries and get them cheaper. If you know anyone who falls in the donut hole with medicare, this is very helpful. Anyway here it is

http://www.nboyles.canada4meds.com/

17. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    All drugs are given a generic name when they come out. The company that develops the drug has a patten on it for x number of years. After the patten is up other companies can make the drug, but has to use the generic name for it. Levaquin is a top of the line antibiotic, however is usually not prescribed as a first line antibiotic unless there is reason, like previous history of pneumonia, or other chronic diseases.