Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , here's the scenario...Let's say you know there is a big buck in the area whether ya have pics, actually seen the deer, or have sign that indicates a big buck. Now the question...What do you do to prepare for the kill???

· Registered
828 Posts
i take the extra time to make sure that im as scent free as possible...but after that its time, time, time. Im in the stand as long as i can be...the way i see it...if you arent there you cant see it. people say you just have to be there at the right time. I guess thats true...but the more your there the better your odds...in my opinion the rut is a total different ball game...where i hunt theres no tellin where that big buck will be...find some does using....put out some tinks...and get ready.:up:

· Registered
14,538 Posts
There's a lot of different ways to hunt him, but if he's a big buck you'd just better be careful:
Have you entry and exit routes planned so you can get in and out without spooking deer.
Dont hunt a stand in a marginal wind.
Dont over hunt a stand.

· Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,276 Posts
The wind will decide how when and where I will hunt him. Stands will be placed on feed trees,trail hubs,creek crossings,funnels.Every now and then you get all of these in one small area.

· Registered
5,035 Posts
From my years of deer hunting experience the chances of a big mature buck traveling by your location in daylight hours are very slim.

The best approach is wait for a very windy day after a rain and stalk him very slowly. Under these conditions his senses are very limited.

· Registered
227 Posts
I generally don't have much luck hunting a specific mature whitetail. Dumb luck works best for me. My routine, I like to find a tall tree with lots of leaves for a good vantage point, I slip into my fur boxers and swing from tree to tree like a sex starved monkey, till I jump the deer and attempt to run him down and kill him with a butter knife. It worked for my Pappy, but I'm kinda chubby and not so fast, for ya'll that don't know it sucks to be chubby. I hav'nt had much success with this tactic, any suggestion would be appreciated , but most likely I would'nt try them. I like my fur boxers :biggrin:

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Right now I would find where is bachealor group is hanging out at, later find a funnel into his bedding area and only hunt it when the wind is right, them big uns dont give you many opportunities!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.