Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's what I'm predicting.

A total harvest of 12,000, with a slight increase in the south from last year.
I also predict an increase in the youth harvest from last year.

I predict a slight decrease in the Ouachita and Ozark Mts., but mainly being season is shorter and more people are starting to go out of state to hunt rather than AR national forrest..

The jake harvest will be somewhere around 25% again, which is the goal for AGFC.

Im also going to predict a good harvest for Drew county and poor harvest for grant county being their the only counties I actually got to hunt in AR this year.

Let's hear your thoughts.....

·
Registered
663 Posts
All due respect MB, but what have you been smokin':fit: I will be astonished if there are over 5000 birds checked statewide--from what I've read and heard from folks around this forum and others, this should prove to be on of the worst turkey seasons on record:censored:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I think it'll be down quite a bit from last year. I've talked to several guys that I consider 'good' turkey hunters that didn't kill a turkey this year.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I'm guessing with Reggie... slightly down.
Ozarks down pretty bad. Quachitas less so. If I remember correctly, parts of the delta were up slightly last year? I'd say that might maintain. I dont know much about the GCP.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,500 Posts
Guess what Many, if you went around and collected the sheets, and did the total-ing up yourself, I would come way nearer to believing them than I would with AGFC doing the figures! See, we live in an age if dis-information, and they could tell you anything they wanted to[to make themselves look good, or affect a strategy in their interests] but it might not be the whole story, or even accurate! Having said that, I'd lean towards a "decrease" in the south 1/2 of the state! TJMHO

·
3,605 Posts
9325 birds.

I think that it will be rough for the next two years.

I hunted more this spring than ever before and heard less gobbling than ever before. I did see a bunch of birds but they didn't gobble much.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made my decison based on my last years prediction. I would have sworn the harvest would have been in the 9000 range, but it wasn't. I do know a lot of people in the south who had a good year, however the north seems to have hit a low.

Im thinking that more people tagged turkeys this year, in hopes to get the harvest numbers back up and to get the season started earlier next year.
Personally I don't think AGFC really cares, but that is besides the point.

However I do expect the number we will see (whether right or not) will be higher than most expect.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.