Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's talk about pre-rut. Have u guys seen ny activity? State if so or if not and general location without giving out ur honey hole. (i.e. Swa, nwa, Central, n so on)

Here's mine, location is central Ar. I've seen one 6 pt chasing a doe. Ive seen a lot of rubs but only 2 or 3 scrapes. I believe Tues & Wed of this week will b great days to kick off the pre rut with the moon.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Lots of fresh scrapes west of LR. I too think that the coming week will be great, but mainly because of the approaching rut, cooler weather and many days of rain giving away to sunshine. I also like to hunt with the moon overhead or underfoot if possible, but hunt when I feel like it, period.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Found this rub last season, it was thrashed and had been for many years past. Been keeping an eye on it and another of the same size about 100 yards upslope. Had a camera on that one until today and have a nice buck on video, but still no rubbing in it.

My palm is 4" wide, and my hand is the same distance from the lense as the tree. The backside was rubbed more, but I didn't notice until I had taken this shot. There is one 4.5 year old 8 pointer and one 5.5 year old on my cameras close by, so I would assume one or both to be the perp, or perps! I would have hung a camera here but there's not a good tree to the south, and I'm VERY careful and picky about how and where I hang my cameras.

As can be seen, the rubbing on this cedar has just started for the season. In a month it will be about 20" top to bottom and most of the way around the tree.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I put a camera on a big rub that I found last year. From the first week of August until the week before last I had pictures of doe and 1 spike. Over the last two weeks 6 different bucks have come in and worked the rub.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Pretty cool! That buck's tail is up like a bird dog on point when he's getting after the tree in the bottom shot! Looks like a fairly old buck to me, but his rack doesn't match his body. Maybe going downhill, or is the land poor around there? One thing's for sure; young sissy bucks don't go after trees like that!:wink:

·
Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi
9,131 Posts
I had a forked horn chase a doe past me yesterday evening grunting away. Saw several fresh rubs. I haven't found any significant scrapes yet. It's time though! Nwa

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pretty cool! That buck's tail is up like a bird dog on point when he's getting after the tree in the bottom shot! Looks like a fairly old buck to me, but his rack doesn't match his body. Maybe going downhill, or is the land poor around there? One thing's for sure; young sissy bucks don't go after trees like that!:wink:
Yeah, I think the top buck is an older deer. I think It's a case of bad genetics. It's in Calhoun county, not the best soil but our older deer are usually have much better headgear. Our 3 1/2 year olds are usually 100-115". On the rare occasion a buck makes it to 4 1/2 plus we can have some good ones.

This is the buck I'm hoping to catch. I haven't got a picture of him yet this year, but I know he made it through the season last year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not much here around stuttgart that I have seen. We hunt close to the white river refuge and haven't seen much for sign or chasing going on. Should get going soon. Still have bucks together on my cameras.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.