Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a complete power tilt and trim for a 40 horse mariner that works good and is resonably priced.The motor is around late 80's early 90's.anyone got one they dont need anymore or know where ones at thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Look on eBay, I have sold several on there over the years and there usually a pretty good selection to pick from. Do your homework. Know which motors will trade parts. Some look very similar but will not swap!

Also, do you have the old tilt and trim? If so, you may want to rebuild it. They are not too difficult and you can usually order all the parts on-line. The last one I did, came with an exploded parts diagram, I just tore it down and replaced the seals, rings, gaskets, seats, ... as I took the ram and clyinder apart. Motors are easily replaceable, but watch the number of wires (2, 3, 4) They all have different internal circuitry and you need to get the right one.

Just a few options.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boat hasnt had tilt and trim on it,i was thinking about putting one on it if its not to hard,im gonna have to do my research like you said and see what works on what.:head:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have spent many dollars chasing down parts that look right! But looks can be deceiving.

Marnier / Mercury have a pretty good website and you can look up part numbers and see what you would need.

I have found that checking gaskets, bolt patterns, ... seems to help the most for determing what will swap.

I changed powerheads a few years ago. The blocks has two different part numbers, but the adapter gaskets were the same, the drive shaft on the lower units were the same, and the intake gaskets for the carbs were the same. Turned out, the motors were identical except one or two vacum fittings. Easy enough to swap over.

Just wanting to share my bumps along the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.