Power belt 295 aerial tip

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Pigsooie05, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Pigsooie05

Pigsooie05 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone on here has had problems with penatration with the 295 grain aerial tip powerbelts...I shot a buck this year and hit him in the shoulder and got minimal penatration. I also use 100 grains of triple 7, also shot one a couple years ago kinda quartered to me same thing. Has anyone had this problem? I will try to post a pic for u guys thanks!

2. GotPork

GotPork Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei

me and my daughter use 295 grain Hollow point powerbelts. My 7 pt from this year and my daughters 7pt from last year both dropped in their tracks. Both at about 70 yd shots. Both bullets were recoverd in opposite side!! I love em!!

3. Mountain Oyster

Mountain Oyster Well-Known Member

My MZ prefers the 295 grain hollow point powerbelts also, great bullet.

4. Pigsooie05

Think I might make the switch. Obviously I wasnt wanting to hit the deer square in the shoulder, but if it happens I want to know the deers going to die. The only reason I didnt have to bring the dogs in on him is because when I shot I dropped him and his rack got hung underneath a root all the way to his bases... so he couldnt lift his head. I ended up shooting him again..from the stand after 15 mins I could still see him struggling and knew something wasnt right..thank you all for your input!

5. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    My advice is drop your powder grains down to at least 85grs. I dont shoot powerbelts.

6. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

85 weighed grains of Triple 7 under a 348gr PB Aerotip shot through a monster hog for me back in October. I can't imagine it stopping in a deer.

7. Pigsooie05

Well it did! I wish I could post the pic! Did it go through both shoulders!?

8. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    When you apply the laws of physics to bullets striking flesh and bone all kinds of weird things can happen.

9. towhead

towhead Well-Known Member

Could it be that you need some fresh powder? Also, how did you measure that 100 grains? That should have been enough charge to pass through the deer.

10. bslayer

bslayer Well-Known Member

nea
    I have never had a power-belt bullet pass through a deer. I shoot 100gr. of pyrodex pellets and the 295 gr. hollow point. I am thinking of trying something else. I have shot probably 5 or 6 deer with this style of bullet.

11. towhead

towhead Well-Known Member

I should have said "penetrate much deeper into the deer"

12. WillyB71

I wasn't doubting you, Pig.

I was saying the heavier 348 gr bullet with 85 weighed grains (more than 85 from a measure) blew straight through both shoulders at a slight angle.

This was at 100 yds, give or take 5.

I know velocity and bullet design play a large role, but heavier bullets penetrate better, all other things being equal.

13. WillyB71

Ain't it the truth.

When I was a kid one of the first bucks I shot was a little 95 lb spike with a .30 '06 / 150 grain Remington core loct factory load from about 40 yards, square in the shoulder, broadside.

Of course it flipped him....but didn't shoot through.

In many years of hunting and many deer killed since, never had it happen again.

14. iivydriff

iivydriff Well-Known Member

Powerbelts are knows for exploding on impact. If you punch one through the ribcage straight broadside shot they work but if you need some penetration I wouldnt depend much on them. I use Hornady XTP sabots. They will penetrate very well but they wont run very far either. Most of the time 10 to 20 yards and pile up. My dad couldnt find some xtp's for his 58 earlier this season and he got some 295 powerbelts and shot a big doe. It did a good job, but he put a good shot on her. The bullet was in four pieces he recovered the whole bullet inside the deer. Three small flat pieces and what whas left of main body of the slug. Shot with 100gr out of a 58 through the ribcage and still didnt exit. I would say that is not very good penetration.

15. Pigsooie05

I have shot the xtps and never had one still in the deer. I switched to the power belts because they are easier to load. Might have to switch back!

16. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Well-Known Member

I haven't had a pass through with a 295 powerbelt, and this is with 150 grains of powder, killed the last 4 bucks I have shot, the bullet would be in the opposite shoulder or rib cage and be all mushroomed, most didn't run far, but one did make it about 80 yards, far enough he was out of sight and the blood trail wasn't good to start.

I love the powerbelts, but sometimes wish they would pass through.

17. 25/06

25/06 Well-Known Member

I never have used PB for that reason. If you read very many bullet reviews about the PB, thats going to be a common responce. Most will say they are accurate but very seldom do they get a pass thru. I like a pass thru with a good blood trail. Barnes TEZ is a good choice in my opinion. Shockwave works pretty good to.

18. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

I have been using the PB 295 for years now. My gun shoots best with 90grns. The majority of deer I've killed have caught the bullet. Not all but certainly the majority. And the bullet is normally found under the hide on the opposite side of entry. The amount of expansion plays a big part in slowing the bullet down and transferring it's energy into the deer. The only one complaint I have is that with the absence of an exit wound, tracking can be difficult. But as far as accuracy and lethality, they are still my bullet of choice. Overall, I want an accurate bullet above all else. If it will hit where I'm aiming, I'll kill deer. As opposed to some bullet designs that have tremendous exit wound capabilities but are not accurate in my gun. You may want to try a heavier PB bullet and check it's accuracy. If it prints paper pretty good, you'll probably find it to be more destructive on a deer.

19. Pigsooie05

This is the picture of the shot sorry it took so long! Also one of the buck!
    2012-10-27_09-05-10_33.jpg
    2012-10-27_09-06-15_715.jpg 2012-10-27_08-58-45_630.jpg

20. I use the same set-up and haven't had a problem. Double lunged a doe this year with mine.