Poults!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Punkinseed, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Saw a flock of 6-7 hens this am, too far to spot any poults.
    Saw another lone hen and when I got close a single poult got up to fly. Didn’t see any others, but couldn’t stop to check, running late.

2. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    Saw at least 15 today!
    One thing i find kinda strange is every bunch ive seen this year has 2 hens

mikebri, SwampCat and brushcreek like this.

3. mikebri

mikebri Well-Known Member

We saw 2 different bunches Saturday. 2 hens and 3 poults in first and 2 hens and 7 in another.

TurkeyAddict, SwampCat and Punkinseed like this.
  4. MO HUNTER

MO HUNTER Well-Known Member

NWA
    2 moms... seems on par for the world we are living in.

juleo and Punkinseed like this.
  5. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    Been working hard on this property the last 3 years. Saw a hen with 6 poults all chicken sized and a hen with a wad of poults all quail size. It was a good day.

mikebri, Punkinseed, JR1 and 2 others like this.
  6. juleo

juleo Well-Known Member

Conway
    I have three hens on camera without any little ones. Will a first year hen lay a clutch? Maybe that explains some of the poultless hens?

7. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    A biologist once told me that there is a percentage of young hens that dont nest the first year. I dont recall the exact number but think it was around 25%.

SwampCat likes this.
  8. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That, and studies have shown in Arkansas, somewhere around 75% of the nests are destroyed by predation before they ever hatch.

9. juleo

juleo Well-Known Member

Conway
    It’s a wonder any make it. Especially when you know how many predators you have removed over the last few months. Then get half a dozen coins on camera in one picture frame.

orangefeetdown and SwampCat like this.
  10. turkman

turkman Well-Known Member

Spur, can you go in a little detail on what you have been dong on your property to have all this success?

11. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    I had about 60 acres of fescue. I poisoned as much as I could and let natural plants come back. Out of that 60 acres, 20 came back in native grass, I planted 10 acres of native, planted 10 acres of clover and have 4-5 acres i keep in millet, milo, sudan or wheat. and rotate the rest in bare dirt. Waged war on yotes, coons, cats and possums. Crow hunt as much as I can in the winter.
    Ive always felt getting rid of fescue is one of the best things that a person can do. Its too thick and makes it hard on little turkeys to get around and if predators get on them in a fescue field they can wipe out a whole clutch.
    I run 2 feeders during deer season and put them out in the open away from any cover. Ive seen coyotes, cats and hawks hang around them waiting on easy meals.

mikebri and AR1527 like this.
  12. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    One other thing was I didn't want to shoot the only gobbler on the property so I called him in and passed 2 years ago. I had seen 3 during deer season so I was going to shoot this year but I wasn't willing to make the climb to get to where he was. Then they broadcasted some native grass and I didnt know they used cracked corn to help separate the seed so that ended my hunt there for the year.

13. turkman

turkman Well-Known Member

14. Punkinseed

Se ark
    Turkeys sure do love some fresh disced ground!

15. spur

spur Well-Known Member

nwar
    A biologist in MO encouraged that practice. Said it was a great place for the poults to walk and bug and that they could escape to cover quickly. He wanted them to have easy places for dusting but I never quite understood why.

16. Punkinseed

Se ark
    I have a 550 yard lane out my backdoor that runs through a young pine plantation. Anytime i disc it turkeys will be in it in within 2-24 hours.

mikebri and brushcreek like this.
  17. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    I just saw a half dozen turkeys in a group and 1 big strutter.
    Didn't see any little ones bit maybe theu are still nesting.

18. Punkinseed

Se ark
    Just saw 2 hens with 8 lil ones out my back door!

SwampCat likes this.
  19. Punkinseed

Se ark
    Seems odd that ive seen so many poults considering its rains 3 inches every other day.
    How far yall think a group of poults will travel? I figure not too far?