Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012
801 Posts
Just got back from Kansas..Still gotta make a trip to Missouri...Looked at some awesome land in Ks. And also found some nice sheds!!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I shed hunt and do some scouting at the same time. I have been finding alot of fresh scrapes and rubs lately. Really weird! Guess they didn't get there lovings

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I do 90% of my total scouting this time of year. Bumping around the woods right before season opens hurts way more then it helps in my opinion but there are times where its required to fine tune the info late winter scouting provided.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Best time of the year to be in the woods looking for deer sign it also helps me pinpoint where 90% of the other hunters are going when I'm looking on public land. Got a few new spots locked into my gps. Now I'll just go back into them come August and take one last look before season starts. It really cuts down on a lot of unneeded rambling through the woods before season starts. Especially since my closest set up is a mile from the truck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have several very thick areas on our land I never enter after mid July; unless I have to go in and retrieve a deer during the hunt. They are more or less my rest areas. This is the time of year that I walk those looking for sign and sheds, sometimes I even pin point a new stand location along the edges of them. I even get my stands on the edges hung up in the spring.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've been out twice walking the woods. Now is the best time to scout IMO . Gonna hack out some shooting lanes this weekend at 3 new stand sites while its still cool. ! I can get more done in one day now than three in August !

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've been out twice walking the woods. Now is the best time to scout IMO . Gonna hack out some shooting lanes this weekend at 3 new stand sites while its still cool. ! I can get more done in one day now than three in August !
Sure agree with you, Swampboss. Just went into four areas where I hunt with my trusty chainsaw and cleared out all the brush within 30 yards so I don't have to put up with leaves on everything come next October. This is the only time of the year when you can perform some mayhem in the woods without affecting your hunting. Got four nice trees cleaned up for my climbers and now I can sit back and dream about next October.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is all of this true? It really won't bother them much scoutin right now? I busted up in a big pine thicket yesterday tryin to find some sheds n found a dern good spot to hunt. Just curious if it really won't make them change directions if I go to cuttin stuff in there

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Is all of this true? It really won't bother them much scoutin right now? I busted up in a big pine thicket yesterday tryin to find some sheds n found a dern good spot to hunt. Just curious if it really won't make them change directions if I go to cuttin stuff in there

The areas I cleared out are just open oak "pass through areas" that are used fairly heavily every year. If you are looking at a pine thicket which is also a bedding area, that might be a different story. I don' think I'd disturb it if it's actually a bedding area. Scouting a bedding area wouldn't be a big deal since it has 10 months to calm down. Cutting it up is entirely a different matter.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Understand that one. I only wanted to clear a limb or two to get some clear shots for a arrow. My only problem is findin a way to walk in there without brushin up on small pines n leavin my scent everywhere

1 - 19 of 19 Posts