Post Rut Strategy

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by WillyB71, Dec 9, 2012.

1. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

It's pretty much dead where I hunt in Ouachita County.

Still some does and some little bucks moving, though much less of them, and way, way less big buck activity, day or night.

There were 6 shooters on our cameras all season, and only one went into the freezer that I know of.

I backed off them, planning to wait until they settle down, the bucks get into a post rut feeding pattern, and there are less acorns on the ground.

I am going back in about a week, moving my set up, putting out feeders in a different spot, then going to leave them completely alone (except for filling feeders once a week) until Dec 26.

Is there a better way to kill a late season buck?

Thanks.

2. PulaskiCo32

PulaskiCo32 Well-Known Member

Set up on natural food sources. Late in the season bucks are usually educated and won't come to feeders in the daylight.

3. nwa_bowhunter

nwa_bowhunter Well-Known Member

Still be on the lookout for bucks chasing or following does. I've had some amazing hunts in December where mature bucks were following an unbreed doe and that was a few years ago when the doe population wasn't nearly as high as it is this year.

4. Hēlim

Hēlim Well-Known Member

Zone 12
    I haven't had a lot of deer activity at all this year, but the few mature bucks I have had on camera were all during cold fronts.

5. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

lots of years i see way more buck sigh in dec than nov 2 rut has fewer does comming in so more competition between bucks

6. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

I found a bunch of huge fresh rubs and scrapes yesterday in Ouachita County. Hoping I can get in there soon when it's cooler. Haven't seen but one mature buck so far but 3 of them have been killed all during cold days on our lease.