Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been invited to ND for a Buffalo hunt in February (weather could be a huge game-changer) - and I don't really have the surplus funds for a new rifle (though a 45-70 has long been on my "want list"). So - I'm in a position to need to come up with the best possible option with my existing arsenal (in case I'm actually able to make the trip). Here are my options.
  1. 30-06 (My dad's rifle I inherited when he passed back in July). This would carry some sentimental value, as well as being my "biggest" cartridge I currently own. I've been told that this would be plenty adequate with a 180gr. bullet).
  2. .308 - also with a heavier bullet (I currently shoot Hornady Superformance 165GMX....)
  3. .270 - currently set-up and dialed in with 130gr. but would probably try to get something dialed in with 150gr. bullets (would require the most time/effort to get ready).
My buddy says he wouldn't anticipate shots over 300 yds, and are likely 200 or less.

So - thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,994 Posts
Man, if you can swing the finances, there would be something cool, nostalgic, and just right about taking one with a .45/70. Henry is producing an all-weather one I am seriously in love with once they make it gate loading. I want the .45 Colt to match my Roger Blackhawk.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Bison are big, strong animals and they can soak up some lead, especially if shots are poorly placed. But like anything else, if you put a well made bullet through both lungs, the game will be over in short order. Dad’s .30-06 is the ticket and will do fine. I had a friend who did a similar trip several years ago and he shot a replica Sharps .45-120. He punched several .45 caliber holes through it with non-expanding cast bullets before the buff even noticed. It took a chase and follow up shots to seal the deal. Nostalgia is cool but maybe not the most efficient option.
If you don’t mind sharing, where is this and what is the cost? I’d love to have a bison in the freezer.

·
Administrator
82,924 Posts
I agree with the 30/06 and heavy bullets. If you don't have the ammo it at least gives you time to find some.

·
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bison are big, strong animals and they can soak up some lead, especially if shots are poorly placed. But like anything else, if you put a well made bullet through both lungs, the game will be over in short order. Dad’s .30-06 is the ticket and will do fine. I had a friend who did a similar trip several years ago and he shot a replica Sharps .45-120. He punched several .45 caliber holes through it with non-expanding cast bullets before the buff even noticed. It took a chase and follow up shots to seal the deal. Nostalgia is cool but maybe not the most efficient option.
If you don’t mind sharing, where is this and what is the cost? I’d love to have a bison in the freezer.
It's a ministry friend ( he's a pastor in Montana) who invited me - he has a cabin on Native American land on the extreme western side of ND. Not a package/paid hunt. My cost will be wrapped up in getting there and food. No permit or license even required if we stay on the reservation

·
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Man, if you can swing the finances, there would be something cool, nostalgic, and just right about taking one with a .45/70. Henry is producing an all-weather one I am seriously in love with once they make it gate loading. I want the .45 Colt to match my Roger Blackhawk. View attachment 286362
I've done a lot of window shopping between the Marlin and the Henry in 45-70. From reviews I've read - it seems both have had some hit-or-miss quality control issues... Either way - looking at $700-800 for a rifle... plus ammo.

I've even considered trying to work some kind of trade- I have a couple of handguns I also have inherited this year - neither is particularly valuable - but could make a dent.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It's a ministry friend ( he's a pastor in Montana) who invited me - he has a cabin on Native American land on the extreme western side of ND. Not a package/paid hunt. My cost will be wrapped up in getting there and food. No permit or license even required if we stay on the reservation
That’s a sweet deal. Hope it comes together for you. I have a few friends who have done this. On the low end, for a young cow, it was $800. On the high end, for a trophy bull, it was $3,500. It’s not a hunt; you’re driving out and shooting livestock. But it’s hard to find a finer steak.

·
Read Only
Squish: The sound your waders make after you fall into ice cold water but act like nothing happened.
0 Posts
Use the .30-06 with heavy for caliber bullets. Don’t squander money over a .45-70. Learn from my mistakes. This one is easy and you can see it from five miles away. Hunt with your Fathers rifle. We are talking legacy here.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts