Pork Butt

Discussion in 'Cooking, Grilling, BBQ, and Recipes' started by jccduck, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Turn it on its side to start with, if you want.

But I admit, I cheat. I put 'em in a throw-away foil tub, a buck or two at Walmart.........and I pour 7-up, a whole can, to start with. Now, with liquid smoking, you have to turn them sometimes because the part covered by liquid won't brown correctly. But usually just once.

Spritz with apple juice at the end.

2. claytonsdad

claytonsdad Well-Known Member

I'm in.

orangefeetdown likes this.

3. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

You really have to go out of your way to screw up a pork butt. The only issue I’ve found during the process is running out of beer.

JohnnieWalker, Nat1, JB Weld and 2 others like this.
  4. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Only way to really mess them up is to cook them too hot and too fast. I’ve never run out of beer. That’s preventable.

5. rowdyrabbit

rowdyrabbit Well-Known Member

I usually trim the biggest bulk of the fat off. Coat in mustard and put rub on. I used to put them in foil from time to time. I can't tell that it speeds up cooking much and doesn't help with the flavor to me. I prefer no foil to get a better bark on it.

6. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    That wasn’t me that said that, I just said it’s really dang good.

7. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    You know where I stay’s, and my phone number. I’ll be there with bells on.

8. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Is Danster the "Doug Hodges" of pork butts?

9. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

Nope! I can tell by his disclaimer. Doug would never say those two things.

orangefeetdown and JB Weld like this.
  10. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Inject with apple juice. Rub em down. Smoke at 250 FAT SIDE UP for 2 hours. Meat will only take so much smoke I found 2 hours is plenty. Oh forgot use cherry wood for smooth flavor. Not hickory fan, too strong if not done right. Pour can of coke over top of em then wrap em up n back on smoker at 250. When the bone pulls clean they’re done.

11. bslayer

bslayer Well-Known Member

nea
    I have a pork butt thawing right now. Saturday morning, I am going to smoke it for a couple of hours. Then I am going to try something a little different. I am going to put it in my 8qt instant pot to finish it. I will put a couple of cups of apple juice in it. Not sure how long it will take, but I will start about a hour. It should be the juiciest smoked pulled pork I ever had. Like was said before, meat will only take so much smoke and after that, there is no need in waiting 5-6 more hours. I am not after bark on pulled pork either. Just a good sandwich or BBQ tater.

12. claytonsdad

claytonsdad Well-Known Member

Should work well. I've done the same basic thing using a crock pot when I didn't have the time or inclination to monitor the smoker for the whole time. Instant pot will just be much faster. Let us know how it turns out.

13. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

When people say they don’t like hickory favor on butts, those are the same people who claim to like coffee, but it looks like a milkshake!

14. luckless

luckless Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner

Danster made the comment about not finding a better butt than his - but you quoted Claytonsdad’s disclaimer.

Pay attention.

JB Weld likes this.
  15. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Hate coffee too Dr Pepper in the morning Cherry, peach, or pecan are more of mild
    smoke. Doesn't take much hickory and alot
    people over do it

Onetrakd likes this.
  16. jccduck

jccduck Well-Known Member

All these great ideas. Has anyone ever put one on the grill and then put on the smoker? I've grilled several and flip ever 30 min and bast with a cooking sauce.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  17. bslayer

bslayer Well-Known Member

nea
    I started my pork butt on my smoker for about 2 hours. Looked good when I took it off. I put it in my Instant Pot and with about 2 cups of apple juice. It took about an hour and 45 minutes to finish a 8-9lb. butt. It was good and easily shredded, with lots of au jus sauce to pour back over it.

18. dlfarley

dlfarley Well-Known Member

I'll debunk that theory. Haven't touched a stick of hickory in years. Only pecan for me. And my coffee is black as the night, and sometimes needs a spoon to dip out of the pot.

LEXI and jccduck like this.
  19. Kodiac

Kodiac Well-Known Member

If you don't slather your butt in mustard, you really have no business cooking a butt.

20. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Tenderizes and moisturizes