Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice a drop in population in Missouri last season. Ran into more hunters past couple years than I ever had. Guys saying they didn’t hear much on private so they were hitting the public hunting areas. Seems to be getting worse to me. Your thoughts?

· Registered
3,889 Posts
Compared to 15-20 years ago……it’s pitiful.
Big decline in the last 5 years but more significant the last 2 years. I hunt public and private. Some of the public Ive had super great hunts 7-10 years ago remind me of the Ar. national forest these days and it doesn't get hunted hard. Never has out of state guys didnt know it existed

· Registered
3,787 Posts
I know farmers who got depredation permits for turkeys in the late 90’s. Looked like flocks of Canada geese in the winter on a field. Steady decline for the last 15 years. Rapid in the last 5. Nest raiders like everywhere else.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
I would love to post a picture... but with all the sleuths we have here I won't do it. I even had video of it.

One of our MO farms had 1.5 miles of river bottom land, fairly close to the road for observation. From the early 90s all the way in to the ought's, and as recent as 2010, at certain points in the fall we could watch over 300 birds traverse that field to get across the road. 1.5 miles of field, turkeys walking diagonally across, with no more than 15 feet in between groups of birds at random points in the line, now that was a sight to behold.

It was nothing to see 30 gobblers strutting in that field at any given point. They would have their areas and their hens... as season dragged on the fighting would occur and they would explode their leks.

The last several months I have been up their scouting, I have seen 1 gobbler in that field with about 8 hens. Most birds this fall I have seen in the field is 12.

It's a shame.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

· Registered
610 Posts
I would love to post a picture... but with all the sleuths we have here I won't do it. I even had video of it.

One of our MO farms had 1.5 miles of river bottom land, fairly close to the road for observation. From the early 90s all the way in to the ought's, and as recent as 2010, at certain points in the fall we could watch over 300 birds traverse that field to get across the road. 1.5 miles of field, turkeys walking diagonally across, with no more than 15 feet in between groups of birds at random points in the line, now that was a sight to behold.

It was nothing to see 30 gobblers strutting in that field at any given point. They would have their areas and their hens... as season dragged on the fighting would occur and they would explode theirlegs.

The last several months I have been up their scouting, I have seen 1 gobbler in that field with about 8 hens. Most birds this fall I have seen I'm the field is 12.

It's a shame.

SE Kansas was the same during those times. A buddy and I had several private farms to hunt and there were no issues with tagging out. Then I started seeing piles of chicken litter in the corner of fields to later be spread on said fields. That's when the #s began to fall. Coincidence??

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Last time I was up there was 2013. Not what it had been in years past but we still heard plenty of birds to have fun chasing them and killed a couple. I've been told the area we used to hunt has really went down hill which seems to be the consensus with what everyone on here is saying. My boys have grew up on stories of me hunting up there and they are begging me to take them up there, but hard to spend that money for what sounds like would be a disappointing hunt for them.

· Registered
3,889 Posts
We have a property in Izard county. We trap year round. Last time I was up I saw 32 gobblers in one field. Buy traps!!
We have trapped hard and are very successful but it takes more than 2-3 landowners to get the job done. Raptors are a big problem in our area and I dont have the money to trap them.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
SE Kansas was the same during those times. A buddy and I had several private farms to hunt and there were no issues with tagging out. Then I started seeing piles of chicken litter in the corner of fields to later be spread on said fields. That's when the #s began to fall. Coincidence??
We have been spreading turkey litter since the early 90s in MO, specifically in the areas that I hunted. I don't know what the long term effects are, but it didn't seem to hurt the birds from 1992-2010.

· Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Last time I was up there was 2013. Not what it had been in years past but we still heard plenty of birds to have fun chasing them and killed a couple. I've been told the area we used to hunt has really went down hill which seems to be the consensus with what everyone on here is saying. My boys have grew up on stories of me hunting up there and they are begging me to take them up there, but hard to spend that money for what sounds like would be a disappointing hunt for them.
The decline in birds and the rise in license cost has kept me away from there for several years now.. Use to be my go to place..

· Registered
3,889 Posts
We have been spreading turkey litter since the early 90s in MO, specifically in the areas that I hunted. I don't know what the long term effects are, but it didn't seem to hurt the birds from 1992-2010.

There's not any chicken or turkey litter spread in the areas I hunt. Some of the farmers spread manure from their feed lots.

· Premium Member
18,623 Posts
Yes! Coincidence.

Just way too many places that never saw a speck of litter which are still losing birds at an alarming rate.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts