Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I got to thinking how much fun I had when using popping bugs for bream. It has been many years since I have used much less bought a popping bug. I went online to buy a few and was shocked at the prices. Cheapest I could find was South Bend at around $1 per bug. Man o' man what happened!? When did they start inserting gold into these bream killers?

I make 99% of my own bass tackle but have never made a popping bug. I saw I can buy hooks and bodies from places like Jann's or Barlow's but wanted to know if anybody else already builds their own or know where to buy some ready to fish popping bugs at a low price.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Nope Janns and Barlow's..Hard to beat..
Can't hardly wear one out.....

G&F stocked Bream in Greer's.. Don't tell anyone...

Any Rocky area..Boulders....

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I started using Boogle Bugs a few years ago. Best floating and most durable one I’ve found. I buy them on eBay as seconds, label is blacked out, fish don’t seem to notice. Haha

·
Registered
687 Posts
I tie my bream poppers using craft foam as the head. You can make lots of different variations that are deadly. Heck of a lot cheaper than commercially available ones

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I watched a video of a home made version. Guy used a section of an aluminum arrow shaft chucked into a cordless drill to cut out the main popper body from a flip flop of all things.

·
Administrator
78,388 Posts
I used to tie flies and popping bugs as a young teenager. Here’s some of my stuff I still have stuck back on a shelf if I ever decide to get back in to it.

Hooks, corks, rubber legs, there’s also paint, deer hair and hackle in the box. This stuff is probably 50 years old.
4F06C9D4-5847-4179-BC31-444232123CAB.jpeg

My old fly tying vice. Herters from back in the late 60’s/early 70’s.
834BC33A-2A8D-4D00-825E-00425072ABCC.jpeg
025326B2-606A-4318-ACB6-FCADCA4EB557.jpeg

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
I used to tie flies and popping bugs as a young teenager. Here’s some of my stuff I still have stuck back on a shelf if I ever decide to get back in to it.

Hooks, corks, rubber legs, there’s also paint, deer hair and hackle in the box. This stuff is probably 50 years old.
View attachment 311520

My old fly tying vice. Herters from back in the late 60’s/early 70’s.
View attachment 311518 View attachment 311519
Wow!! Nice Stuff...Bought a lot of stuff from Herters...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts