Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to hear others experiences with other hunters..
As for myself, a buddy and myself were hunting out of pirogues,out of the way of others, where big boats weren't able to go... We could hear others off in the distant calling and shooting and out of respect we would not try to call while they were possibly working ducks...Once the hunting had slowed down.. you could here someone busting through the brush and water, whether it was to :censored: or what ever..Then about 30yds through the brush we could see an individual walking.. and when he saw us..turned around and went back out to open water...A few later we heard their group hollaring about what he had walked up upon..So my buddy asked if we wanted to be just as nosey.. i responded with..just as well..so we began to paddle our way out of the flooded timber into the open water...when one of them hollared...at the other WT:censored: are they doing, and just started ranting and raving..And I popped off same :censored: thing ur buddy was doing..duck hunting and being nosey.... It amazes me at non :banghead:sportsmanship conduct found in the river bottoms....

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I get so aggrivated when stuff like this happens. I cannot stand it when people refer to a free roaming wild animals as "My deer", or "My duck", or "My turkey". It's a shame how some people act when they get outdoors, and with their buddies. :frown:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Bad attitudes doesn't only apply to duck hunting. Any kind of hunting or fishing it happens all the time. Not only on public land but on private and hunting club land. I used to belong to a hunting club and the area that I hunted was hard to get to so none of the other members hunted there. So I started hunting that area and started to have good success and before you know it others started to move in on me. One of the guys had over a dozen stands and any where near them was his territory. He moved 2 in the area that I hunted. One morning I went to hunt out of a ladder stand that I had put out and it was gone. This guy had brought it back to camp and said he didn't know it was mine. He said he thought someone had tresspassed from the next lease.:smack:

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
I've had a few duck hunting encounters over the years which is one of the reasons I've retired from duck hunting.
On year we found a spot on a late morning scouting trip and went back to hunt it the next day. A little before daylight some guy walks up and tells us that we are in his hole and that he's the one that cleaned it out. We told him that it was a National Wildlife Refuge and was just as much ours as his.
Same type situation happened again a year or two later and the guy pulled up in his boat and started mouthing. I was the closest one and he was raising heck to me till my buddy walked up. My buddy is not a very imposing guy normally, but at 6' 6" and wearing waders and a big hunting coat, he sure enough looks like a big sucker out in the duck woods. They guy got rather nice after my buddy walked up and it wasn't long till he was back in his boat and headed on down the river. :biggrin:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one said anything about being guilty..just the attitudes..There's NO, "NO TRESSPASSING"signs NO "PURPLE PAINT" it's all public access in a NWR. But don't come makin a showing where I'm hunting, and definately don't start raisin hell when I'm checking my surroundings :flag:

·
Registered
76 Posts
nonsportsmanship

I have been in some of the situations you guys have been talking about. Its hard to get along with people like that but you just have to ignore them and insure that you set a good example for the younger kids that might go with you or else that generation of hunters will be just as bad as the the people some of us have to deal with.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I've had a few duck hunting encounters over the years which is one of the reasons I've retired from duck hunting.
On year we found a spot on a late morning scouting trip and went back to hunt it the next day. A little before daylight some guy walks up and tells us that we are in his hole and that he's the one that cleaned it out. We told him that it was a National Wildlife Refuge and was just as much ours as his.
Same type situation happened again a year or two later and the guy pulled up in his boat and started mouthing. I was the closest one and he was raising heck to me till my buddy walked up. My buddy is not a very imposing guy normally, but at 6' 6" and wearing waders and a big hunting coat, he sure enough looks like a big sucker out in the duck woods. They guy got rather nice after my buddy walked up and it wasn't long till he was back in his boat and headed on down the river. :biggrin:
that is why i have retired from public hunting as well. there are jerks in all kinds of hunting and fishing but duck hunters are by far the worst.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's worse on public fishing waters.
I agree. Earlier this spring I took my wife and two kids fishing on a public lake. We were tied up to a stick up drowning some nightcrawlers and the kid's line and bobbers were out toward the bank. There was probably 10 yards between their bobbers and the weed bed and 4 teenage boys trolled between their bobbers and the bank. When i saw what they were about to do I hollered at them and said "Are you kidding me? Are you really fixing to troll through there?" He never skipped a beat and replied,"Yep, sure am?" I said "Thanks for the courtesy you jerk. I'm sure my kids appreciate it too." He muttered "No problem" and continued on. He passed within three foot of their bobbers. I was livid. I am a bass fisherman too but you just don't do that to someone. It would have went down way different than that had the family not been in the boat. I just don't understand people like that. :mad:

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's worse on public fishing waters.
Just this past spring my brother and I were working a bank bream fishing up to a spot where there was a bed that we fish every trip. We were about 10 yards from the bed when two guys motored wide open up in front of us to the spot. They shut down the motor and floated right into the bed. Then the guy in the front of the boat said "were yall going to fish here?" I know we were not quite on the bed yet, but it wasn't hard to tell that we were headed in that direction down the bank. They not only cut us off but ran every fish out of the bed. Nothing was gained by there unsportsmanship. They turned their boat out and left laughing. I don't understand people like that.:mad:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
People being royal J.A. is th reason I have not duck hunted in 10 years. I got tired of the fighting to get in a hole or the cussing and hollering and sky busting by soome jerk who was mad so he set up 100 yards past it the whole when we did get it. I was tired of the jerks at the boat dock/ramp. I was tired of the rules making it harder than it should be on the public land hunter and not so hard on the private land hunters.

I can't afford a duck lease cause I like being married to much!:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.