Pond weed control

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by pd2, Jul 26, 2020.

1. pd2

pd2 Well-Known Member

I’m taking care of a farm with nice pond on it that has the huge Lilly pads almost covering it up. How do you kill those things? Any companies or individuals that have equipment to do this?
    Thank

2. fisherman505

fisherman505 Well-Known Member

I am fighting the same thing up here, pd2. I've been mixing 2oz of Catt Plex Herbicide with 1oz of Plex Mate Surfactant to one gallon of water and spraying the lillipads at the rate of a third of the pond at a time. I wait 14 days between applications. So far, it seems to be doing pretty good. Within four or five days, the sprayed pads turn yellow and die and rot. What I don't know yet is how much of the poison is in the roots and will it kiill them all. I pretty much know that all the roots will not die and that I will have to do this again next year on new growth as it sends new lillypads to the surface. I figure (hope) that by the end of next Summer, maybe I will have killed all or most of the roots.

I am using a 15-gallon electric sprayer and it can put out a pretty good cover 10-15 feet from my boat. My pond is only about 1 1/2 acres and there is no way I would want to do this with a pump-up type sprayer.

So far, I haven't seemed to affected the fish in the pond but maybe it's too early to tell. I just started this mid-June.

Click on https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...at=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Catt+Plex for the surfactant and click on https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...at=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Plex+Mate for the herbicide. There are many more herbicides and surfactants on the market and they can get a bit expensive if you have a large body of water. This is one time I am happy I have a small pond. Also, they don't recommend something like RoundUp and advise using only herbicides made for aquatic applications.

You probably already have Googled the subject but if not, click on https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=getting+rid+of+lily+pads and you'll get all kinds of information on the subject.

Cheers.....

3. fisherman505

Forgot to mention that as the roots die, they gas up and come floating to the surface, usually with one end rotted and the other end still growing. I think it's natures way of allowing this plant to leave one bad place and maybe float away and find another place to grow. Anyway, once a week, I take the boat out and collect all the floating roots and chuck them up on the bank. In a weeks time, I can get pretty close to a hundred pounds of roots out of the pond.

Cheers.....

HuntHigh and Saltydog like this.
  4. fisherman505

5. k9gold

k9gold Well-Known Member

505 is there a reason you can't use Dawn detergent as your surfactant? My pond had problems with Water Shield and I used a generic Roundup on it. Worked pretty well for that problem but I had to stay on top of any re-infestation or it would get out of hand pretty quick.

John Stiles likes this.
  6. fisherman505

That's good to know, k9. I have no idea of what I am doing and just went along with what I've read on the Internet. It does seem to be working though. Did the Roundup kill any fish or other critters?? From what I've read, they only recommend an aquatic herbicide for lillypads and specifically state to stay away from Roundup. How much Dawn and Roundup do you put in a gallon of water??

Cheers.....

7. k9gold

k9gold Well-Known Member

505 I mixed 1.5 oz of glyphosate to a gallon of water. A lot of the generic RoundUp knockoffs have a surfactant all ready in them. The reason they are not labeled for pond use is Roundup contains a surfactant that is not legal to use in aquatic environments. About a tablespoon of Dawn per gallon is what I used.

8. pd2

pd2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys!

9. fisherman505

Thanks, k9. Hopefully I put a hurt on the lillypads for this year and next year, I'll give your suggestion a go to finish them off.

Best of luck controlling the pads, pd2. In some ways, I almost hate to kill them because they do provide a lot of cover for the critters in the pond. My bullfrog population has certainly gone up and I am a bit concerned about how this herbicide will affect them. They have extremely sensitive skin and can't believe the poison will do them any good. But the pads are getting so thick, I can hardly row the canoe through them and there is no place on the bank where you can cast without having to put up with snagging lillypads.

Cheers.....

10. buck720

buck720 Well-Known Member

Game and fish used round up in one of my friends ponds for this same reason worked really good. I use it in mine once a year now. It hasn’t killed any fish that I know of but could have made them looked cross eyed! Just kidding don’t know of any long term side effects.

11. HuntHigh

HuntHigh Well-Known Member

Long term effects usually show up in you..

buck720 likes this.