Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will be Monday am bright and early. Will be the first for.me.this year. Last year saw plenty. Swampcat I think said it was a little slow in a previous post. All the flooding this year may have affected some who.knows, I have never hunted there with that much water previously.

·
Premium Member
29,747 Posts
My son and I have hunted a fair bit. Pretty slow. Lot of acorns. We have seen a few. Been a weird year for us. Slow for me last year also - never drew my bow over there. Probably going to get worse in the future. 53 days flooded in May and June about wiped out the fawn crop. First three weeks of season, only ten deer were checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the flood was not good and I agree bout the fawn crop ans also if any doe gave birth while they was displaced it may take them even longer to come back if they ever come.

·
Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,451 Posts
They'll come back. They usually follow the water as it recedes. Deer and turkey both. Both bucks and does are such home bodies that they will swim or whatever it takes to get back to their core area. I've been in places that were underwater just the day before and deer tracks all over the place in the mud. As soon as the fawns can travel the doe will lead them to her home spot.

·
Premium Member
29,747 Posts
I think the adults came back - but I also think most of the fawn crop was lost. Current deer regs from both the state and the feds don't allow for any contingency in case things don't happen the way they are supposed to in a perfect world. Shoot the does down MIGHT work in some places, but in the real world, were you have disease, flooding, predators, etc - I think you have to allow for those type things. I fear it will take a few years to catch back up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.