Pond Building Advice

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by WillyB71, Jan 2, 2011.

1. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

I am going to drop the $$$ to build a 2 acre pond in SW Arkansas on my parents old home place, which I will live on some day.

The site is in a low place in between two hills and fed by a small seep.

Any advice on minimum depth, contour, dam construction, etc???

I plan to stock this with the typical fish varieties (channel cats, bass, bluegill)& feed them.

Is there any type of testing that should be done in advance to insure the site will hold water???

Thanks.

2. if you or who ever does be sure to core trench the middle of the base at least 3 foot if you have a contractor build it for you he will have to survey the hight with slope of ground this will in tell how wid ,what kind of slope meaning the sides if levee but main thing is the core so water wont run under neith the levee

3. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

Might try getting in touch with water and soil conservation folks down there. Might be a useful contact to have. And, it wouldn't be the first time I know of them 'kicking in' on the cost to construct a watershed.

4. Vetrock

Vetrock Well-Known Member

I just built one. Call you County Extension agent and he'll tell you who to contact. They'll come out at no charge and take a soil sample telling you if it is feasible. UAPB also has a very good website that will give you a lot of pointers on building a pond. I think I found it on google.

5. WillyB71

WillyB71 Well-Known Member

Good advice. Thanks.