Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
I hate it for you. I'm highly allergic to that crap too so I feel your pain. Get well quick!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I constantly watch for it on trees and on the ground while in the woods. I will kill all of I can if I know I'm going to have to be in close quarters with it. It will about drive me crazy once I get it...

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
Have your doc prescribe steroids....prednisone will knock it out pretty quick. You normally get major relief within 8 hours of starting the pills.
I always ask for the cream...after I get the shot.

If you don't want to use Technu, I've had some success with Grandma's Lye Soap that I've purchased from Cracker Barrel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Get a big bottle of body wash and dump out enough to mix in a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol and take a shower with this after being out where you may have been exposed to it, and it removes the oils before it sets in. I got on a row earlier this summer where i got it in a new spot every time i'd go check cams or go trout fishing, and havn't had it sense my dr suggested this. I'm so allergic i do it everytime I go out now just to be sure.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I get it bad and I am very cautious. I can get within a couple feet of it and still seem to somehow get it. Now I have some kind of poison ivy cleaning wipes. Everytime I go to the woods and think I could possibly have went near some I just pull a few out and wipe down. Seems to be working.

Edit: They are called IvyX Post Contact Skin Cleanser wipes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The really screwy thing about this is that you can go in and out of how these plants effect you. I got it bad as a kid, then could wade through fields of it with no problem in my early teens, and now I'm again allergic, but not super bad. As said, I RARELY climb a tree with a fuzzy vine on it because that is Poison Ivy, and there are places like Shirey Bay/Rainy Brake WMA where 99% of the climbable trees have this, and sure enough acreas of it growing straight up to about 3.5-4' tall. This can really get you once the leaves drop, because if you don't know what you're looking at, it seems as though you're just walking through a bunch of really close together saplings of all the same height and look! Drag your weapon or hands through this stuff and then touch your face or other "sensitive areas" after this, and you could be in for a world of hurt!!!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.