Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two of these this year so my son could hunt with a semi. They are a piece of garbage. I wanted a Benelli but did not feel right about buying two at one time. I should have. We shot skeet three times this summer and made two hunts and you cannot get the third shell in either of them. I keep them clean and oiled. 'Not impressed. You get what you pay for. Don't waste good money on these. They've cheapened them since they were kicking Browning's but at a lower price point. Learn from my mistakes.

·
Premium Member
20,285 Posts
What kind of shells are you shooting? Light loads don't perform well in them.

Winchester says this about the SX3:

"3" models fire everything from light, 1 oz., 2 3/4" target loads to 3" magnums, while 3 1/2" guns handle loads from 1 1/8 oz., 2 3/4" field loads"

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 28 camo model will not allow you to put the second shell in the mag tube after one is in the chamber unless you fiddle with it for five minutes.

I drug the 26" black model's butt stock through the water today and it wicked up a bunch of water so I went ahead and torn it completely down to blow out, dry out and lightly oil the assembly. I basically reassembled the shotgun. The initial fitting looked like a third grader did it-----deplorable.

I went ahead and shimmed it Cast On 1 to raise the comb and lower the drop at heal. The black one is solid now. We will see how it holds up. To get the SX3 up to snuff, it needs to be sent to a gunsmith new in the box to be tightened up and fitted. The fit on the camo is terrible, holes off, etc. and thus the warpage of the parts that make for smooth insertion of shells. It a only to a little while for the abnormal wear to ensue and problems to start. I would advise anyone to avoid these shotguns.

I am taking the offending model to a gunsmith to bring it in spec. I do not have the time or patience to jack with sending it to Arnold. It's a lesson learned. Back to the Etta's and Elli's.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have three sx3's. I also have a Benelli. All have performed equally well.

I have been harder on the Benelli because I have owned it much longer, but it has jammed on a rare occasion or three. One of my sons shot an sx3 last duck season and it never failed in any way.

Overall, I really like the sx3 so far. The recoil is much more tolerable, and I have confidence in its function.

I know many people who shoot sx3's and love them. I think you got two lemons.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Wow! Never experienced anything but rock solid operation with a SX3. Light, points like it's part of your hand, and lights up flooded timber. Best shotgun ever made in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
That's funny, mine functioned flawlessly during dove season and I out shot just about everyone there shooting one handed and I didn't practice. I just went and shot and it shot beautiful right where it should have. You may need to practice a little more to get the hang of loading. My wife shot mine for a while dove hunting and fell in love and had to have one and one of her favorite things was how easy it was to load. She is a fairly accomplished shot gunner though with at least 3-4 hours of experience :whistle:

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
Mine has been great.. Gets a good cleaning once a year whether it needs it or not... Put a case of steel shot through it each year.. Been dunked, dropped, used as a boat paddle, and still gets the job done each time. I hate to admit all of this because if I ever try to sell, you all now know how its been treated.. Haha!!

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been hunting for 44 years since age 7 with a Browning Auto 5 16. I know how to load a shotgun. I have owned Berettas, Browning's, my father had Bennellis and I have had Remington's even Remington's that didn't do this. I thought these things were good values for the money until I took them apart. They're poorly fitted and not the same quality as the ones that were out out when Winchester used the dura touch finish on them. Further reading of their manual reveals there is not even an official warranty on the SX3. Now I have a boat anchor until after the season. I'm glad many of you have had good luck. I was trying to save a buck and should have listened to my friends who told me to get a Benelli. Two in a row bought from two different gun stores and I just got two lemons? Maybe so but it's a scenario I will never put myself in again.

·
Registered
31,144 Posts
I have been hunting for 44 years since age 7 with a Browning Auto 5 16. I know how to load a shotgun. I have owned Berettas, Browning's, my father had Bennellis and I have had Remington's even Remington's that didn't do this. I thought these things were good values for the money until I took them apart. They're poorly fitted and not the same quality as the ones that were out out when Winchester used the dura touch finish on them. Further reading of their manual reveals there is not even an official warranty on the SX3. Now I have a boat anchor until after the season. I'm glad many of you have had good luck. I was trying to save a buck and should have listened to my friends who told me to get a Benelli. Two in a row bought from two different gun stores and I just got two lemons? Maybe so but it's a scenario I will never put myself in again.
So why not take it back to where you bought it and let them either fix it or give you a new one? Seems like a pretty simple solution really....

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
I like my benelli...but ide never buy another. Kicks like a mule. And overpriced. I really liked the maxus tho. Couldnt stand the sx3 the few times i fired it. I also absolutely hated the Vinci and everyone seems to love it. Maybe its me

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So why not take it back to where you bought it and let them either fix it or give you a new one? Seems like a pretty simple solution really....
Bought it at Cabela's in Allen, TX. They will send it Arnold, MO for me but they won't give me a new shotgun. I am leaning towards just sending it to one of Winchester's authorized repair centers in Dallas and letting their gunsmith fix it. He's good. I have read online this morning this is not rare. I am sure he knows how to remedy it. I want it back in the field ASAP. I bought it to hunt with and tested it all season. I've never had to do this with the Betetta's I've owned. They are a little long for me so I will go back to them and have them fitted to me. There are far more things in life to stress over. You get what you pay for and there's a reason Beretta's are $500 more than SX 3's. It's worth it when you have your hunt ruined.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Bought it at Cabela's in Allen, TX. They will send it Arnold, MO for me but they won't give me a new shotgun. I am leaning towards just sending it to one of Winchester's authorized repair centers in Dallas and letting their gunsmith fix it. He's good. I have read online this morning this is not rare. I am sure he knows how to remedy it. I want it back in the field ASAP. I bought it to hunt with and tested it all season. I've never had to do this with the Betetta's I've owned. They are a little long for me so I will go back to them and have them fitted to me. There are far more things in life to stress over. You get what you pay for and there's a reason Beretta's are $500 more than SX 3's. It's worth it when you have your hunt ruined.
Maybe so but I sure as heck can't figure out what it is. Mine ate 15 boxes during dove season of the lightest loads made and never hiccuped. And unlike the Beretta's I've shot, it actually shoots where I point it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've never heard stories like that about an sx3. I really like mine, and enjoy the recoil vs my Benelli. You clearly have lemons. I've hunted with friends that had berettas that were worth no more than boat paddles. Sometimes it just happens I guess, but I'd send them back to Winchester to have them fixed.

I will put my sx3's up against my Benelli anytime.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: Quack addict was right. It's the shells. I did not realize until this weekend that some 12 gauge shells are slightly smaller in diameter than others. It does not matter which length. The public lake we hunted in North Texas requires #4 or smaller. The only 3.5's I could find were blue box Federals. The target loads Ridge shot skeet with were winchester cheapo's. We measured both and they are smaller in diameter than Dry Loks. The Dry Loks and Nitro Steel Remingtons load just fine. Anything on the fat side of the tolerance works. I will use the Federal 3.5's in the 870.

I took the time to completely disassemble the camo SX3 today and carefully put it back together. It feels much better. 'Sorry for being such a baby. I want to like these guns as they carry so well and come to the shoulder naturally. This is the first shotgun that i have taken the time to adjust the cast, comb and drop to fit me. If you have never done this, take the time to do it.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what it's worth, this gun patterns better with 3" versus 3.5" using a kicks high flyer full or Carlsons super steel no ported full. I can put a majority of pellets in a paper plate at 45 yards with #2 Dry Loks.

·
Registered
31,144 Posts
For what it's worth, this gun patterns better with 3" versus 3.5" using a kicks high flyer full or Carlsons super steel no ported full. I can put a majority of pellets in a paper plate at 45 yards with #2 Dry Loks.
The vast majority of shotguns will pattern better with a 3" load.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The guns run fine with 3". That's what I will stay with. I am told 3" patterns full with a full choke from a 3.5" chamber and 3.5" patterns modified with a full choke.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.