Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor a few weeks ago that Plum Creek sold (or scheduled to cut) just about all merchantable timber they have. Our camp got a letter and map detailing what thier plans were for 2008, and it does show they are cutting everything that can be cut. Going to amount close to a 1000 acres for us.

It sucks they are doing it all at once, but I must commend them for communicating the plans and sending the maps. Anyone else get the same thing?

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Maybe they wil do it BEFORE deer season:biggrin: It seems that every year, the loggers oove in on us right at Turkey season and then again in deer season:mad: we used to have some of the prettiest bottomland timber you've ever seen, now it pretty much looks like the rest of south arkansas........clear cuts and thickets!!!!!!!!!!!! one good thing is they won't be planting ours back in pine, it don't grow real good in the bottoms!!!

and they do give us notice........they say we're gonna cut so many acres, here and there.....they just Never tell us when they will start!!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
they got us last year as well...bout 1000 acres worth. we also got the maps and reports they sent out and it looks like they will be back to finish off the rest of the remaining timber this summer. after they cut, they are going back and rowing up the land. i heard they are going to take those tracts with rows back to clearcut every 15 years. also, what little hardwood we did have left on the creek bottoms, that had been managed very well by GP, plum creek wiped those bottoms out. i didnt think they could get that close to creeks...but there is no one to regulate timber companies, just best managment practices, which they are not following.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm not going to mention the name of the company, but the creek and wetland we have (had) in the middle of our camp didn't make a difference. They even had the area marked off with blue paint to show it was off limits. Guess what??????, they went in and cut the crap out of it! They got bogged down and not only cut the :censored: trees, but they tore the :censored: out of that beautiful wetland! What do you do? If you report them, they are surely going to hold it against you and your lease. A bunch of BS is what we experienced last year. This one company could have driven around foodplots to get in and out, but what did they do, drove right through the friggin' middle of them. Not just once, but even after we replanted them. Then the question comes????? What can you do?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
sprtsmn001,
Chances are, there's nothing you can do. They own the land. Thier legal department probably drew up the lease agreement and I'd be willing to bet that lease agrement protects them, not the lease.
Deltic cuts our lease whenever they feel the need. You can waste time getting upset about it, or you can accept the fact that you don't own the land. Their concern is not for our lease, food plots, deer stands, or turkey seasons. Their concern is to make money, and no matter how much we feel like our $10 (or whatever price it is) an acre lease is a lot of money, its not.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
SK, I agree. Their is no point in getting upset over things you have no control over. But man is it discouraging to have it happen. Nothing better than getting in that tripod before daylight, with a wetland behind you, just to have the timber company start up their trucks that were in the wetland since the night before. That is what happened to me on the 3rd day of rifle season last year. Oh well....stuff happens. There's always this year! :thumb:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I hunt on Four Lakes out towards Woodberry. We have hunted the same lease for over 30 years, Plum Creek has ruined our hunting lease to the point we no longer have a place to hunt.They do not care. And at 6 dollars an acre they can have the place. We also got the dreaded letter informing us that they will be clearcutting the remaining few trees we have left:censored: Plum Creek is the worst timber company I have ever been associated with and I warn everyone to avoid them like the plague. You simply can't hunt in the middle of 500-600 acres of clearcut and expect results and decent hunting-then you have to pay that big per acre charge for 4-5 years till the growth allows deer cover.

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
I hunt on Four Lakes out towards Woodberry. We have hunted the same lease for over 30 years, Plum Creek has ruined our hunting lease to the point we no longer have a place to hunt.They do not care. And at 6 dollars an acre they can have the place. We also got the dreaded letter informing us that they will be clearcutting the remaining few trees we have left:censored: Plum Creek is the worst timber company I have ever been associated with and I warn everyone to avoid them like the plague. You simply can't hunt in the middle of 500-600 acres of clearcut and expect results and decent hunting-then you have to pay that big per acre charge for 4-5 years till the growth allows deer cover.
Whats funny is you will drop it and some fool will lease it!!!!!!!

I would love it if thier land just sat idle!!!!!!!

Where you gonna hunt crabclaw?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Whats funny is you will drop it and some fool will lease it!!!!!!!

I would love it if thier land just sat idle!!!!!!!

Where you gonna hunt crabclaw?
Don't know--but there is only so muck [email protected]$#& anyone can take and I have reached my limit. We simply have no Huntable deerstands left--it is hard to believe a timber company would manage so badly, and ruin a great deer hunting location for the past 30 plus years. It's not just our 900 or so acres it's pretty much the entire 35000 acres.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.