Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at doing a spring/summer and fall/winter food plot program. I like oats,wheat,and brassicas in the fall. Spring im thinking clover,sunflower,chicory mix.

Im not against going to a straight clover mix and seeding brassicas into it for fall/winter.

Who has experience in seeding into their clover? And who has experience tilling their clover each fall?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I planted clover so that I don’t have to till my ground every year. My plots last 4to 6 yrs before I have to restablish the clover. I sow wheat and turnips into my clover plots when I restart the clover. Last year I just seeded pasture wheat over all my clover and it worked really well..so that’s the plan from now on. I did throw some turnip seed in with my wheat this year too.

Ive Planted Durana and imperial whitetail clover, both work for perennial plots but I had the best luck with the imperial whitetai.

Swampcat has been overseeding wheat in his clover for a long time..that is why I tried it. It works.

·
Premium Member
29,427 Posts
Yes, I have good luck overseeding clover with wheat. If you have some weeds in the clover, overseed with wheat and then bush hog the weeds down as semi throw and mow. About the least labor intensive planting method I know for year round plots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.