Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I held off doing my plots on Labor Day and opted to go a little later. Couple reason for that , that I noticed last year. For one I think the palatability last year was not good later in season. I had some really good growth in Sept last year and it just got to tall. This year I should have some tender growth during the months of fall and the cold should slow growth into Dec and Jan. My clover is really thriving right now with this rain and I’ll get some photos of those plots later.
Plant Sky Shade Tree Natural landscape
Plant Green Tree Natural landscape Shade
Plant Sky Shade Natural landscape Tree
Sky Cloud Plant Green People in nature
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Shade

·
Registered
29,867 Posts
Pretty....but it amazes me that folks kill deer in such areas. That looks like the ones on the "Deer Killing Shows". If we could put one open spot like that anywhere in our 1,000 acres, the deer would avoid it like the plague......way too open. We're lucky to get them to step into a shooting lane or cross a road for 9 seconds. The fact that deer......including big deer...........just walk out into such places is amazing to me. Course, that's all there is "up north" and I know the deer live there, but it's programmed into my experience to think that's an awfully open area to attract deer.

Color me jealous.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It has been so dry around my plots that I have had to wait. Planted yesterday even though it is too dry but hoping for a rain soon. So late that it was do or die. Probably going to be a weak plot. Mine is only to feed the deer. I never hunt it.

·
Premium Member
23,125 Posts
It has been so dry around my plots that I have had to wait. Planted yesterday even though it is too dry but hoping for a rain soon. So late that it was do or die. Probably going to be a weak plot. Mine is only to feed the deer. I never hunt it.
Planted at the end of October on more than one occasion due to being dry. Plots always did fine.

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty....but it amazes me that folks kill deer in such areas. That looks like the ones on the "Deer Killing Shows". If we could put one open spot like that anywhere in our 1,000 acres, the deer would avoid it like the plague......way too open. We're lucky to get them to step into a shooting lane or cross a road for 9 seconds. The fact that deer......including big deer...........just walk out into such places is amazing to me. Course, that's all there is "up north" and I know the deer live there, but it's programmed into my experience to think that's an awfully open area to attract deer.

Color me jealous.
Rub, these two particular stands are inside corners of large hardwood so the deer naturally travel around those corners first and foremost. You then place food in those corners and place your stands to access where you don’t bump deer. Access is probably the biggest OCD part of me. If you recall I planted miscanthus back in the late winter to cover or block the open big field behind my stands. If food is there and I don’t care if it’s in my big open field outside those foodplots in the wood line, deer will eat. So once you have all those things covered all that’s left is monitor your cameras and weather. Your not going to have deer pile in everyday of season in daylight. But you will have some hit early morning and mostly late evening. You secure a spot good enough and they will certainly come. Make the does happy and the bucks will snoop I promise you. Course it helps to be the only one with food in the area also. Also plant good plots. Offer something your neighbors are not offering. I see all to often where I had to completely change my plots to something my neighbors didn’t offer. Or at least add something to what’s not being offered.

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really think late is going to be better. I’ve wasted to much money on seed which pop’s up then dries out. I’d rather the plot be lower in growth later in season to be tender and not battle army worms.

·
Premium Member
29,423 Posts
I agree. I am planting end of this week and next week. IF they get any rain, they should be fine. I have planted early september before and that just does not typically work out for me. Normally, it is dry in September and if seed germinates, then plants wither and dry. If it does get up - very susceptible to army worms. If not too dry and army worms dont get it, then plants get too big and tough and deer do not use them as well. If planting brassicas, you have no choice but to plant early - but I dont plant them anymore. I prefer first week of October, but like Allenn - have planted into end of Oct and plots did fine - just not for opening weekend gun deer season

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. I am planting end of this week and next week. IF they get any rain, they should be fine. I have planted early september before and that just does not typically work out for me. Normally, it is dry in September and if seed germinates, then plants wither and dry. If it does get up - very susceptible to army worms. If not too dry and army worms dont get it, then plants get too big and tough and deer do not use them as well. If planting brassicas, you have no choice but to plant early - but I dont plant them anymore. I prefer first week of October, but like Allenn - have planted into end of Oct and plots did fine - just not for opening weekend gun deer season
Army worms seem to be getting worse and worse each year. Nothing makes a grown man cry than to see a pretty plot get eat up in the matter of a few days. I get getting stuck in tradition of planting in early September. You see guys going to their hunting areas and you feel like your left out. They get a good rain and it pops out and looks amazing. Then you hit that two week dry spell or army worms hit and your back replanting. It’s a gamble and I don’t know what others are planting but my seed is not cheap especially when you take historically the times you’ve had to replant. I guess if I was doing a couple acres it wouldn’t be bad. I’m not doing a whole lot maybe 7 different individuals acres but that’s scattered over 3 counties. When your a one man crew that’s hard work.

·
Premium Member
29,423 Posts
Army worms seem to be getting worse and worse each year. Nothing makes a grown man cry than to see a pretty plot get eat up in the matter of a few days. I get getting stuck in tradition of planting in early September. You see guys going to their hunting areas and you feel like your left out. They get a good rain and it pops out and looks amazing. Then you hit that two week dry spell or army worms hit and your back replanting. It’s a gamble and I don’t know what others are planting but my seed is not cheap especially when you take historically the times you’ve had to replant. I guess if I was doing a couple acres it wouldn’t be bad. I’m not doing a whole lot maybe 7 different individuals acres but that’s scattered over 3 counties. When your a one man crew that’s hard work.
yes, sir. I am in the same boat. I dont worry as much about the wheat and oats to hunt over as I do my summer plots. Fall plots are for hunters, spring and summer plots for the deer. I could kill deer if I didnt have a fall plot. I might not have any deer to kill if I didnt have spring and summer plots. I find if I wait until early to mid October - I dont have nearly as many crop failures - and as you said, seed aint cheap - but worse yet is my lost labor.

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, sir. I am in the same boat. I dont worry as much about the wheat and oats to hunt over as I do my summer plots. Fall plots are for hunters, spring and summer plots for the deer. I could kill deer if I didnt have a fall plot. I might not have any deer to kill if I didnt have spring and summer plots. I find if I wait until early to mid October - I dont have nearly as many crop failures - and as you said, seed aint cheap - but worse yet is my lost labor.
I think we parallel on a lot.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I hate army worms. Use to I never had problems out of them. Last 4 or 5 years in the bottoms if I plant early they get eat up. They look great right now but I'm worried. Saw some small yellow moths flying around on my brassicas. Not real sure what the army worm moth looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Arkansas Hunting mobile app

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Color me jealous.
Also on a side note, that sounds like a product of long intense gun season .

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably. Ain't it great?
oh it’s great lol. When you watch those vids from Midwest, they usually don’t have those long rifle seasons. But another aspect is they don’t have the large tracts of timber either. So deer are going to feed in the open. But set all that aside and if you condition your deer over time full year of food they will feed. I think the year round part is the key.

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hate army worms. Use to I never had problems out of them. Last 4 or 5 years in the bottoms if I plant early they get eat up. They look great right now but I'm worried. Saw some small yellow moths flying around on my brassicas. Not real sure what the army worm moth looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Arkansas Hunting mobile app
That is something I don’t know either. I usually just find out after the fact.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts