Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very luck man to day. Sometimes it is just not your time. I was by myself running up the L'Anguille River like I had done many times before. I lost the gripe on the long handle of my Go Devil as I was turning around in the River. As I went to grab the handle, the boat went to one side and started taking on water. The boat turned over, and I was out in the water. I kept my senses, got on my back, and let my waders keep me up. I floated to a tree top, got my breath, and swam on my back to the bank. I knew the woods real well and started walking staying in water I could wade. Of course my phone was of no use. I knew there was a levee about 1/4 of a mile away that I could walked down for a 1/2 mile to a gravel road which would take me to my truck another 1/2 mile away. I made it. Lost my gun, boat, motor, gas tank, hunting bag with duck calls and all other things you take. Don't go hunting alone, let someone know where you are, don't panic. Been hunting for over 60 years and hope to see my 73 birthday March 3rd. Please be careful!

·
Super Moderator
14,041 Posts
Oh my, Doc--this almost brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad things went well for you. God was certainly looking out for you today. I know the river is high and the water was very cold. I turned over in the L'Anguille bottoms several years ago as well and I'll never forget it. So glad you kept your senses and got out okay. You've still got a lot of grandpa-ing to do!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some friends who have offered to see if they can recover the boat. I am sure everything else is gone. Now, I will have to go with someone as I no longer have a boat and motor. I don't think I am ever going to go alone again. I had a Nissen that I have had for years go out about a week ago. That is why I was in the Go Devil. I am still pretty shock up about it. Not about the things I lost, they can be replace. I hugged my wife, granddaughter, and daughter when I got home.

·
Registered
Elite V37, muzzy broadheads
5,250 Posts
Glad you made it out okay. God was definitely looking out for you

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wow, you definitely had someone watching over you that day. I plan to show this post to my son who has asked about going out alone on the river (and he's 20). I remember all the stupid stuff I did alone when I shouldn't have even been out there and it worries me to even think about it.

Glad your safe and can go home and hug your family.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Glad you're safe!! I wear a pair of bib overall every time is hunt with a pocket in front and I keep my phone in it in a zip lock. A ziplock will float and keep water out and you can still talk and text through it. I can always reach it in an emergency situation. You always hope stuff like that doesn't happen, but if you spend enough time on the water it just does, it's part of it. When you stay calm and think you're going to come out of most of them fine. I'm assuming you're wearing neoprene waders?

·
Premium Member
29,741 Posts
Glad you are ok. That was a close call. Being in the water in January is not a good thing. I have run a boat for 50 years - five of those with a mud motor and I have been in the water twice in those years - both while operating a mud motor. I have been in the water plenty of times when just walking or when in a pirogue or canoe. Operating a boat at night in cold water and cold weather can be hazardous. Glad you are ok. The possessions you lost mean nothing. Good luck. Hopefully, the rest of us will be a little more aware.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.