Please Educate Me

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by coonnutz, Dec 24, 2010.

1. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

And tell me how can I tell the difference between a mature Gobbler and a Jake?

2. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

usually by beard length. Jakes will usually have 3 to 5 inch beards, and a tom will be closer to 10, give or take. also the 4 or 5 middle tail feathers on a jake will be longer than the rest of them. a jakes gobble is usually short and choppy, and he will have little to no spurs.

3. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

A jake's head is more blue too.

Be careful hunting in thickets...a blue head pops up and it could be a hen or
    a jake if you can't see the rest of the body...

4. coonnutz

On a mature gobbler will they have even tail feathers?

5. 10pointman

10pointman Waterfowl forum Sheriff<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Co Staff Member

Jakes are about 12-14 lbs,Big Gobblers are 20-25lbs. You'll know when ya see a big one!!

6. Hooked Spurs

Hooked Spurs Well-Known Member

Yes. A mature gobbler's tail feathers will be even and easily identifiable if he is strutting.

7. biggobs

biggobs Well-Known Member

Jakes usually have less than 6' beards, nubs for spurs (1/4" or less), their tail fan when displayed or fanned out will typically be uneven, they obviously will not be as large as a mature gobbler since they are young so their size it typically less than 15 lbs, they also don't have what I call a mature gobblers tomato looking head....their heads are smaller & skinner & typically their gobble is more broken, sick or just plain bad sounding rather than a booming, chest rattling gobble of a mature gobbler.

8. Head color. Fan shape. Beard length. Spur length.....

Most of the time...

Sometimes, a jake head looks like a gobbler and sometimes gobblers have short beards.

Spurs are the best sign IMO, but are hard to check unless you ground-check a bird.

Fan IMO after that. Beard is like a deer rack, not necessarily a good indicator of age...but probably what most people use to ID a turkey anyways.

9. coonnutz

That's a huge difference:eek:

Thanks for all the advice:up: