Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a duck pond area that I can impound natural water - but no way to pump. It pretty much dries up in the summer. I plant millet on the mud flats as the water recedes. Would rice grow if seeded on the mud flats. Can the rice be seeded in shallow water.

·
Registered
31,147 Posts
You can seed rice in shallow water for sure. They hydro seed it all the time with crop dusters if it's too wet to get it in by conventional methods.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
If you can do anything to your soil to rough it up it will work much better. Doesn't sound like you could run a field cultivator over it. If the ground is smooth it's very possible the seed will move. You can pre sprout the rice which could help considerably. Soak the rice for about 24 hours then dry for 24-36 hours. Once it begins to sprout it can help it to put down a root to hold it in place. If the wind starts to blow it may still all end up on one end of the pond. If it dries up for too long you'll probably lose it. It can get so dry it looks dead and still come back however. Upland rice doesn't do too good.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I sowed rice in my timber holes last spring.There was a couple inches of water on the ground when I had it flown on. I also take care of a local duck club that joins my farm. I sowed two 14 acre fields in cl 151 after pumping them up and held the water on until they pegged,meaning they put a spike down in the ground,I then pulled the water off and ended up with a great stand.I sowed a little over 3 bushel per acre.I was able to pump water on those fields and had as good a crop as I did on any field on my farm.I had an 8 acre field and a slough that had been hacked and sprayed 2 years ago .I planted it with Jupiter a medium grain rice. It somehow stayed clean with only a few smart weeds coming up. This was that 1 year in 10 that it rained enough to make a really good crop. The ducks didnt start hitting those spots until around the 10th of Jan. but they were thick as flies after that.I havent drained the duck club yet and today as I drove through there it was wall to wall ducks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.