Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all, I'm new to the forum, and looking for places to take my 5-yr-old Boykin spaniel. We hunt a lot in Kansas, but it seems like a good year to stay closer to home.
Could any of you recommend some general places to find quail in Arkansas?

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
3,130 Posts
Kinda the way I look at hunting anymore. I'd rather have 3-4 good hunts a year, than 15-20 with little action. I can hunt ducks, pheasant, and quail within 10 hours of home, and have some real good hunts. Or, I can fight for the few birds here. I owe it to my dogs to get on more game. I'll continue to travel

·
Registered
111 Posts
Public land quail are tough to find, but not impossible. The Ouachita NF has places that have relatively good numbers, but one has to do his/her homework to locate birds and wear out boot leather. Areas within 2-5 years after harvest or areas where thinned pines or site prep has been burned are the best places to look. Most AGFC areas don't have good quail numbers as deer or waterfowl are featured species in terms of management; most are heavily forested (or have been planted to forest after being acquired as open land) but there are a few exceptions. Look for WMAs with native grass areas, thinned stands of pine, a good burn rotations, etc. In the east part of the state where CRP and similar farm programs have been going on for years, young tree plantations (<10 years old) can hold good quail numbers, but most are on private land. However, some public land has also been subjected to hardwood restoration, and young forested areas may hold quail. I still hunt quite a bit in AR, and most of my hunting is on these latter types of areas on public land.

Mike, Author, A Life with Gentleman Bob and a Few of His Kinfolk, Hunting Midwest Quail, Amazon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, 4setters. That's really helpful. Sounds like Ouchita NF deserves some exploration.
I tried hunting Ft Chaffee 2 years ago. Took the required course, paid my $20 cashiers check, and everything. I think I hunted there 3 or 4 times, and only flushed 1 covey. Now it's time to renew my permit to hunt there, which they make you do in person, only on a couple of days a month, and you have to pay with, you guessed it, a cashiers check or money order (They won't take cash. Seriously, how does the Federal government get away with refusing to accept its own legal tender?) Ft Chaffee just doesn't seem worth it.

·
Premium Member
33,553 Posts
Back 20 years ago when we hunted..
We hunted Paper company land..
It's tough hunting on you and dogs...
Will wear them out going over logs and Briars all day..We had 4 dogs..Hunt 2 before Dinner, Hunt 2 fresh Dogs after Dinner...
Expect 2 -4 Coveys all Day..

Go to Texas....Lots of Birds..Hard to find public land to hunt..

Good hunting..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Woodcock will have to do. My Boykin is 1 1/2 years old and crazy to retrieve. I will spend some time in duck woods and then hunt some of the hardwood plantings. Last year was dismal. S Dakota looks good this year

1 - 20 of 20 Posts