Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had 22's but thinking of getting a conceal carry permit and don't want to spend alot, but want something that shoots straight. also have hogs on the lease so will carry during rifle season. see these star 9mm real cheap claim the foriegn police carry them. any imput would help and thanks.

· Banned
4,558 Posts
IF you are on a budget, I would try and find a used glock in 26, 27, 30, or 36. IF your patient, you can pick one up for around $400 in decent shape. They are built like tanks and will always fire. Anybody that tell you their Glock jammed up probably put the bullets in backwards

· Registered
679 Posts
My advice is to go to Don's Weaponry in NLR and see what guns they have for you to try out in the range underneath them. A good concealed carry gun is a very, very subjective topic that depends highly on the shooters abilities, budget, typical clothing styles, and desires. Nobody is going to be able to give you the answer as to what's the best, cheap gun for carry because it just doesn't exist.

Also, guns for carry and hog hunting are two totally different ways to use a gun. There are a ton of great carry guns that aren't going to be worth a flip for hogs and a ton of great hog pistols that aren't realistic for carry. If you absolutely must have one gun thats good for both hunting and personal defense then get a gun with a 4" barrel since you need at least that to hunt with on a WMA. Most folks have trouble hiding guns with barrels over 5" and lots of folks don't even want to carry a 4" barreled gun.

· Registered
3,072 Posts
Ruger LC9, Taurus Pt740 or PT709 are all easy to conceal and realiable. Academy tends to have the best prices. None of them are hog slayers though.

I carry the LC9 BC ITS easy but the best gun I own is a Glock 20 10mm. The Glock design is so simple its genius. I ALWAYS carry my G20 when I can but most of the time my Ruger gets the call.

· Registered
11,694 Posts
Ozark Amory in Springdale has decent prices and does layaway. I would look at the Glock, XD9, Ruger LC9, Taurus709,and Millinum. I've heard bad things about S&W simi's. Do you really want to trust your life with the cheapest thing you can find? The place in Tontitown has beter prices on some guns. Not sure about layaway.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
I bought a Sig P226 in .40 a few years back for concealed carry, long before I got my CCL. While it is a great gun and as dependable as the sunrise it is not always comfortable to carry daily or easy to conceal in the summer.

I'm starting to look around for a smaller daily carry gun and also one for my wife who is wanting to get her CCL too. So far she is liking the Taurus PT22 (I think). I may go back to a Walther PPKS. I really regret selling that one.

· Registered
AR-14, cal.50 BMG, Semi fully-auto, 100 round clipizines, explosive bullets
563 Posts
I carry a glock 27 and really love it, one of the most important things to comfortable carry is a quality holster. There are times when I would like something smaller to pocket carry, but I really have no complaints about the g27 and a .40 will dispatch hogs fairly well out to about 25 yards if you do your part.

· Registered
4,120 Posts
As ALWAYS I'm gonna buck the norm and suggest you look at a revolver!!! A S&W Model 66 will fill the bill for what you list as reasons for a handgun. You can look around and find them at very good prices. The .357 is still an excellent field gun and personal defense weapon!!
They are NOT hide out guns!!! But with decent leather you can load up for any possible need from bad guys to bad critters ala your hog issues!
They are simple to use, very accurate, very effective and will last a lifetime of normal use.
From midrange wadcutters in .38 Spl to 180 gr Partitions there is a load for any need!! Hell even shotshells for the random rat or cottonmouth!!!
You can NOT find that flexibility in ANY self loader..........

I will now retire from my soapbox!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.