Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 8ft fiberglass pirouge...1 man....and have always used a long canoe paddle/single blade...am wondering if a Kayak style 2 blade is easier to use, than a single blade.......This thing has been sitting in my shed for a few years...without use...but since retirement is just a few months away, am digging it out and cleaning it up and gonna buy my stamps again and give the old pirouge a workout..........if the ducks will co-operate :biggrin:

Any advice will be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Only thing about a double-handled paddle is your hands stay wet. It runs down the shaft from both ends when you swap sides. They make little gizmo ring thingys that slide onto the shafts to deflect some of it, but during duck season you will need neoprene gloves at least! :eek:

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing about a double-handled paddle is your hands stay wet. It runs down the shaft from both ends when you swap sides. They make little gizmo ring thingys that slide onto the shafts to deflect some of it, but during duck season you will need neoprene gloves at least! :eek:

I use either Neoprene or Gore-Tex...if my fingers stay warm and dry..I can make it...got a slight touch of Frosbite when I was in Alaska...not to mention the Itis brothers that bother my hands.......

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No..... this one doesn't have a 'skirt'.......but I know someone who could probably make one!!! My ex-FIL is an upholstry man and can make about anything:biggrin: I've thought about it, but never followed thru with the idea........I've always sat on a boat cushion, and with my chest waders on, managed to stay fairly dry, except for the occassional oooopppppssss...and then it gets cold and wet real quick!!!!!!:banghead::censored:

am thinking about trying one of those small Turkey hunter seats...the old back/legs/knees aren't what they used to be, and I try not to get into too deep water........all of the ooppss have been getting in and out of it, mostly getting out:biggrin: I try to find a good tree with a stout limb, I can use as a crutch:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I have used both style paddles and have gotten wetter w/the single, than the kayak paddle....just from swingin the paddle over the boat...
jmho bh958
I've certainly slung a lot of water on the missus with the single paddle while mosyin' down the river... In the dead of summer it feels good, but not during duck season.

At least you can aim it! :biggrin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wish I could measure the length of mine (it is at my cabin). I have two and lost one and replaced it with another that was about 6 inches shorter and the longer one is definately better. Err to the side of being too long. Gander Mt. in Texarkana does carry them. Ther first ones I bought, I got at Walmart (about half the price of Gander), but I have not seen them at my Walmart since.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I don't use a pirogue per se, but have a slough boat that is real similar. I use the kayak paddles just 'cause it is swifter in the water and seems to keep in a straight line easier.

I have a little short handled paddle that is strapped in as a back up.... I have went to swing on jumped ducks and then lost my kayak paddle over the side!!! Not cool when the wind is kicking you around!!!! And though it works... an 870 stock is NOT the most efficient paddle!!!

I've used my Wildfowler layout chair before inside of it to keep up off my knees and make it a little more comfortable... but it is a fight if you are going much distance. It's great once you're set up if you plan to hunt in a "layout" fashion! One of the turkey seats with a back might be the dope, but I still haven't bought one yet; I usually just kneel on a boat cushion and make the best of it.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the pirouges pretty closely, just wondering how comfortable they are. I'm 5'10 225 lbs. Anybody have problems with stiff backs, knees etc. after sitting in these for awhile? Sorry, not trying to hijack the post, just curious.
My Back and legs are stiff before I get in mine :biggrin: The 'Itis Brothers' are the reason, and 38 yrs of back breaking work!!!!!!

I don't use a pirogue per se, but have a slough boat that is real similar. I use the kayak paddles just 'cause it is swifter in the water and seems to keep in a straight line easier.

I have a little short handled paddle that is strapped in as a back up.... I have went to swing on jumped ducks and then lost my kayak paddle over the side!!! Not cool when the wind is kicking you around!!!! And though it works... an 870 stock is NOT the most efficient paddle!!!I've used my Wildfowler layout chair before inside of it to keep up off my knees and make it a little more comfortable... but it is a fight if you are going much distance. It's great once you're set up if you plan to hunt in a "layout" fashion! One of the turkey seats with a back might be the dope, but I still haven't bought one yet; I usually just kneel on a boat cushion and make the best of it.
Amen to that!!!!!! Been there done that, too!!!!

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I was once told. I can see all of us out in the swamp somewhere with magnets tied to strings trying to find your gun and gear.:thumb:
I tie stuff off....never turned that thing over...I'm not sure if ya can...as wide as it is :biggrin: I can honestly say, I've never dropped my shotgun...I've gone out of sight in a stump hole before:smack: but my shotgun stayed above water:up:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Hell year before last I tossed an 870 smooth out in the hole!!! I had been having feeding problems and replaced the two magizine retention springs that reside in either side of the receiver... after the third time of it failing to feed while we were "in the ducks" I tossed her right out in the middle and sat down to just call for my FIL!!!
Not the most mature thing I've ever done... but I was feeling a bit juvenile at the moment!!!

I would have left her too... but Al went and dragged it out.... I ordered yet another set of springs/rails.. and she hasn't had a hiccup since!!! Apparently I had bowed the rails when I installed them and it just would NOT feed reliably!!! The last set has been the trick...

Sorry about hijacking the thread... but it was relevant... sorta!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.