Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys use or recommend any type of Pirogues, 2man duckboat, Canoes,or etc?:head: I'm looking for something stable, lightweight, easy to propel, won't get swamped by passing boats, & possibly capable of holding 2 men plus gear. I looked at a few websites & found a few boats that had a decent price / functionality. So far I'm leaning toward Paw Paw's Pirogues but I'm little concerned with the side wall height of the boat. Tell me what you think or Know please!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
How deep of water do you plan to hunt/travel in??

My FIL may have a nearly new pirogue for sale.... not sure yet. We ent to Mack's and got it a couple of years ago and it's only been in water about twice. It's in stored in the rafters of his pole barn right now......

He bought it with good intentions, but like you mention the sides are awful shallow and he's not too comfortable in it.

Not sure what kind of money you want to spend either, but Johnson Outdoors (I think they changed hands in the last couple of years) has a two man 10.2 camo model that I like alot. I bought one about three years ago. I've had a lot of good times in it. It's wide, plenty stable and you can run up to a 7.5hp outboard on it.

Here's one website that has some details on them:
http://www.lancastercountymarine.com/WaterQuest10'2.html

·
Registered
492 Posts
I hunt out of one similar to Bobcat boats http://www.bobcatboats.com/ ...It's a 2 man...and am not afraid of hunting with an additional person in it.. I have had both one and two man pirogues..and the only gripe i have in my 2man..is the weight..but there's plenty of room for decoys, guns, etc...With it's size and semi-concave bottom, i have no fear of standing, or paddling against current

BH958

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've also got a four rivers layout boat... It is my favorite! I've used it on a private lake, ditches, sloughs and fields and had blast in it.

I've used it with two men and our gear and never gotten spooked in it. Now once I did take a big ole buddy of mine in it and we looked like the "Hundley"! It stayed afloat but only by the grace of the good Lord above!!!

I have the nine foot model, which is really a one man boat, but they have a two man version that is real sweet. There is alos one called the Puddler that is lighter and bigger and I'd rather have had it, but the price was right on my Four Rivers so I got it instead.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know from experience you want a boat that is as wide as possible through the middle and has square chines. The chine is the portion where the bottom meets the sides. I have a pirouge that was given to me that has very rounded or radiused (sp) chines and the thing is very "tippy".....very unstable. The Bobcat boats look like what I would want. The one I have has been a better cover for the firewood pile than it ever was as a boat. Jim.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i used a pirogue for a few years and putting 2 folks in that thing crossing deeper water is probably the most dangerous thing i've ever done. that being said, some folks claim they can stand up in them, so take that for what it's worth. if it were me i'd go get an stealth boat made by otter. i think they're site is otteroutdoors.com. they are in the macks catalog. i dont think you mentioned whether weight was an issue, but i think the otter weighs like 100 lbs. i dont think it has the shallow draft of a pirogue but i think it would do the job A LOT more comfortably and safer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Pirouge/Layout boat for sale with a trailer and motor. I bought it from a guy in Ohio two years ago who used it for Divers. I modified it, camo'd it up for Timber hunting, but am needing to sell it because I'm headed off to Beautiful Iraq in October.

The trailer is nearly brand new and the Pirogue is in Good shape

PM me for pics/price talks

·
Administrator
41,150 Posts
Ive got a Stealth boat and really like it. Its pretty stable with one person in it.

Well, I used to anyway. It was in a grass fire and the front of it melted off so I cant use it anymore.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, for the info to all. The four rivers layout boat looks pretty tough based on the videos at the website. 13'6" MODEL is a little heavier than I'd like to drag around etc, but it has crazy good stability so you have a little trade off there. Well keep me posted if anything out there catches you eyes:yikes:. Like you guys I'm always looking for a better way to cuttin' em ducks!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
FIL has a "Cherokee" brand pirogue that he'd sell for $250. It's hit the water twice and is in the barn. It's 14 ft and weighs about 50-60 lbs if I remember right. It still has the price tag on it!!

Jet me a PM if you're interested in it.... he ain't just looking to sell, but he would if someone wanted it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.