piglet problem

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by wrecker19, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wrecker19

wrecker19 Well-Known Member

I got at least 3 sows coming around with 9-10 piglets each. I'm quite certain if I take momma home with me that the little ones are meat for the taking. Not a big concern but my son doesn't want me to mess with the lady's....soooo, I was hoping someone has had a similar dilemma and would possibly tell me that they were able to catch the little ones and just take them home to be raised. I told my son we were gonna have to catch all the little ones and he would have to hold the sack while I scared them in...he's 8 and told me to get bent..hahahaha
    Anyways, is it feasible to think that I can catch at least most of these little guys? Their all gonna die someday and the sooner the better for the ladies.

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    If it were me, I would use buckshot and let none of them leave alive. Someone might want one or you might sell some, and they are spreading here fast enough. If they are all dead, it wont matter. Plus, you may not find a better Christmas dinner than a young one.

3. wrecker19

I'm guessing their age at no more than 3 weeks...about 10" long and 5" tall so not really any meat there. Its very rocky and I can crawl faster than they can run

4. at that age they won't leave the sow whether she is dead or alive

5. wrecker19

I've assumed that but can I take that to the bank??

6. Those pigs will scatter like a covey of quail. YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK !!!!!!! I've been doing this for over 20yrs. Those pigs will leave their dead mama just as fast as she'll leave them !!!! They may not make it. But you can bet they'll be gone........

7. tracytqrc

tracytqrc Well-Known Member

And if you decide to try to catch them, make sure you take someone with a video camera along, and post the video here!

There ain't much of any thing thats funnier then watching grown men chase a litter of little pigs through the woods, that they ain't gonna catch:fit:

8. Tony Harris

Tony Harris Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi Staff Member

I killed a sow last year that had 6 about that size with her, they may have been younger I don't know. They were nursing when momma died. A 4' section of stick saved me 6 .22 slugs. If there is brush closeby they will try to hide. 7 pigs out of the woods. Leave the son at home and just go kill them.

9. Hog_54

Hog_54 Well-Known Member

Please don't let them out to go wild, that's all we need is more wild hogs.

10. Maybe try using the trap from the agfc website if you are catching them as long as the sow goes in the little ones will follow. It is a reall simple design and you should be able to build it a little smaller to just catch the one hog and the little ones. They would be real good in about 10 weeks fed out on corn. Dig a pit and cook, cook, cook.

11. dang your hardcore :thumb:

i have seen two sows hit the ground dead with piglits and they did not leave her, so I guess it all depends.

12. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

With lil ones that size kill mom and wait when lil ones come back pick them off. May not be much meat but clean them season well and putem in the oven when they come out mmmmmmmmm. U can always cook 2 or 3 at time if u need more meat.

13. tracytqrc

tracytqrc Well-Known Member

you will just need to find some real small apples:fit:

14. put em on a shish-ka-bob stick with the small apple :fit:

15. wrecker19

Wow, thanks for the laughs guys! So it looks like a toss up as to if they will scatter. I'm all archery so chances are they won't even know what happened to momma. I went back tonight and watched them some more and look for a boar but I gotta wait on my uncle to try and catch them. I'm learning alot from just watching them. Very intelligent but too courageous to know any better. I know one sow knows I'm there but she hasn't seen me...if she does she seems to be the kind to come running. When the wind swirls she gets a whiff of me and gets real antsy and paces out in front a few feet here and there, but she sure isn't leaving any behind.
    Tony what are you calling a 22 slug? This is public land and I believe the only rifle you can take in there is a 22. The AGFC wants them gone but with the rules in place it makes me wonder...no bait, no dogs, no night hunting, no rifles(except 22) Pretty much guarantees that 90% will go unharmed..
    Thanks for input guys, I'll let you know what goes down...and no I'm not videoing it :razz: I may have but I lost my video cam from my pocket while I was running after a poacher :mad:

16. Tony Harris

I use a .22 Mag. Another member on who goes by Whiskey River uses a .22 LR I think. Seems light to me but dead pigs don't lie.

17. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

Tony as the saying goes not the size of the bullet it's shot placement. Just not much room for error with 22lr. Lol. Personaly I use 30-06 or 308 I like to put big holes in em. But I too have killed a few with 22lr and mag

18. I use my .308, they don't go anywhere. Pretty much kills any chance out taking out several, but there is always another day

19. Tony Harris

I'll be honest, I hate the dang noise of a big gun. I hate wearing hearing protection but that is no longer an option for me. So I use the .22 mag and its all good, plus I can crank off several shots. I have shot as many as 5 at one time from one group, several were running shots and took loading my second clip to finish but long as they are spinning on the ground I got time.