Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winchester M94 AE in 44 mag. Been wanting one of these to go along with my Ruger Super Blackhawk for only 30 years or so. And my favorite part is no cross bolt safety. Dumbest thing every on a model 94 in my opinion.

Gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

I loaded up some 240gr lead semi wadcutters to shoot just to see if the rifle would go bang. They shoot good out of my revolver so I thought what the heck? I did have a brand new NOE ranch dog style mold arrive today but I have to season it a bit before I can start pouring tomorrow. Then I'll have to wait a few days before loading them up to do load development. So it was the semi wadcutters or nothing today. I chose the semi wadcutters.

The target was my first 3 shots. It was a modest 50 yards but having never fired the rifle before I didn't know where it would actually impact. It doesn't look like it will take much correction and she will be good to go.

I had 7 rounds remaining so I walked over to the 300 yard target which is a steel 11"x14" silhouette. My first 3 shots were way short but I was able to hit the berm on the third shot. Now knowing where to hold I held on the top edge of the berm and about a foot to the right and Wham! I am thrilled. Shot a few more and hit some and missed some.

So after 10 rounds with plain base bullets traveling around 1300fps I had no leading issues. I did have some powder residue but that was easily swabbed out with a few patches.

Attachments

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
Nice! I have the model 94 AE in 30/30 and it has the cross bolt safety. If you forget it, the rifle will go SNAP, and your dream buck will vanish into the mist!:fit::fit::fit::up:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John I have one of the 94 AE in 30.30 too. It also had and I repeat had the cross bolt safety. I found a tutorial on the web that showed how to remove it and I did. If I remember correctly all I needed was a paperclip to do the job. It only took a couple of minutes and no more worries about that stupid safety. I still have the safety in a ziplock in my safe just in case I ever sale that rifle.

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,911 Posts
That is a nice rifle! One day, I would like to find a 44mag carbine to go along with my S&W 629.

Right now though, I guess I will stick to feeding my wife and kids. :thumb:

·
56,527 Posts
John I have one of the 94 AE in 30.30 too. It also had and I repeat had the cross bolt safety. I found a tutorial on the web that showed how to remove it and I did. If I remember correctly all I needed was a paperclip to do the job. It only took a couple of minutes and no more worries about that stupid safety. I still have the safety in a ziplock in my safe just in case I ever sale that rifle.
What did you do about the hole?:head::razz::biggrin:

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
I have a few Marlin's with the crossbolt safety. The safety has a groove around the exposed part when the safety is off. I put a small rubber O ring on it and the safety can't be turned to the off position.

·
Administrator
88,036 Posts
44 mag is fun to shoot in a lever gun. I shoot a 240 GR HC SWC over 9 grains of Unique. In my 7.5" 44 revolvers it is running right at 1100 FPS. In my 1984 with it's 20" barrel it runs ~1450 FPS.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you do about the hole?:head::razz::biggrin:
In the tutorial it said to go to lowes and find these little plastic plugs in the hardware section. They are black and fit perfectly. Here is a pic of my rifle with the plugs. They have been in there for 3 years now and I don't know how many shots later.

Gun Trigger Starting pistol Shotgun Revolver

Years ago I was going to mount a Lyman aperture sight on this rifle but it was a hassle. Last year I put a Skinner aperture on it and no drilling needed. It fit with the factory predrilled holes. I really like it better than the standard buckhorn style sight it had.

Attachments

·
56,527 Posts
In the tutorial it said to go to lowes and find these little plastic plugs in the hardware section. They are black and fit perfectly. Here is a pic of my rifle with the plugs. They have been in there for 3 years now and I don't know how many shots later.

View attachment 80654

Years ago I was going to mount a Lyman aperture sight on this rifle but it was a hassle. Last year I put a Skinner aperture on it and no drilling needed. It fit with the factory predrilled holes. I really like it better than the standard buckhorn style sight it had.
I have a 3x9x50 on mine....200yd shots not a problem w/lever evolution! ;-)))

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it sighted in today. The target is an 8" circle at 100 yards. This first target was with a NOE 265gr cast with 100% wheelweight.

Red Circle Illustration Plate Tableware

The bullet I plan to use to hunt with is the same NOE bullet but it has a 50/50 mix of pure lead & wheel weight. That's what I used last year with my 30.30 & it did very well. I think it should expand just as well out of the 44.

Circle Placemat Diagram Tablecloth Illustration

Had two good shots and the third was fair. Probably twitched on the shot. Still should be minute of deer.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.