Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I see the hatch numbers are decent in the Sept count, I’m planning a 2 day hunt in SW KS.

Anyone else planning a trip?

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
2,709 Posts
80$-150$, that's with duck stamps too. Oklahoma is around 200$ for all, but not worth it anymore, IMO.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
80$-150$, that's with duck stamps too. Oklahoma is around 200$ for all, but not worth it anymore, IMO.
Place I'm looking at is not far north of Western OK panhandle state line. They had poor hatches last year & year before. If not better this year I'm gonna look at SD. License up there is around $125.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I’m about to start training a dog. My dog is 10 weeks old. Hopefully will be able to make it work. Been watching training videos (perfect start/finish etc). Gotta start finding some pigeons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its on my bucket list as well. Probably not this year, but next for sure. Been looking at South Dakota, but Kansas does look interesting.

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
2,709 Posts
Place I'm looking at is not far north of Western OK panhandle state line. They had poor hatches last year & year before. If not better this year I'm gonna look at SD. License up there is around $125.
Nebraska and South Dakota are well worth the trip. Nebraska is probably my favorite.

I’m about to start training a dog. My dog is 10 weeks old. Hopefully will be able to make it work. Been watching training videos (perfect start/finish etc). Gotta start finding some pigeons.
Good luck. I'm far from a trainer, and wouldn't call myself a bad trainer cause it would make bad trainers look worse.

One piece of advice that I think made the difference in my dogs. Besides house training, we didn't train until probably past 6 months. We took lots of hikes in different terrains, and basically let the pups be pups.

They teach themselves so much at that age, it would amaze me. My dogs prey drive is huge, so that helps too.

I watched Brutus on a walk once wander out about 400 yards, at 11 weeks. I never called him or said a word. Eventually he just stopped moving with his head on the ground, and stayed there. I finally walked all the way to him to see what was up, and found a little feather about 2" long on the ground. He was on point at 11 weeks.

Good bloodlines and confident dogs are an awesome combination.

·
Premium Member
27,417 Posts
Its on my bucket list as well. Probably not this year, but next for sure. Been looking at South Dakota, but Kansas does look interesting.
I have hunted extensively in KS, NE, SD, and ND. As far as pheasants go, no other state come close. It would depend a little bit on what type of dog I had and what other game I was interested in. But SD wins on pheasants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts