Petition for new Federally Endangered in ARKANSAS

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by neotoxo, Dec 10, 2012.

1. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

This email was send to the ATA Secretary who posted it on the ATA Forum...thought it important enough for all to see here too...

Hello,
    A petition is currently being reviewed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service that would list the gray fox and spotted skunk as federally endangered in Arkansas and several other states in the plains and upper Midwest. I wanted to make sure that the trapper groups in Arkansas were aware of this and would have a chance to submit comments.

Blake Sasse
    Nongame Mammal/Furbearer Program Leader
    E: [email protected] | P: (501) 470-3650 ext. 1235

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
    213A Highway 89 South | Mayflower, AR 72106
    P: (501) 470-3650 | F: (501) 470-3399
    http://www.agfc.com

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:38 AM
    To: [email protected]; Chastain, Ricky; Sasse, Blake; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; Goad, David; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
    Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; Becky Hays; Chris Davidson; Hacker, Christina; Jim Besley; Joe Krystofik; [email protected]; Margaret Harney; Melvin Tobin; Mitch Wine; Phillips, Jason
    Subject: Notifications for three grassland prairie species' 90-day findings

All:

On December 4, 2012, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published a 90-day finding in the Federal Register on a petition to list three grassland species – the plains spotted skunk (Spilogale putorius interrupta), the prairie gray fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus ocythous) and the Mearn’s eastern cottontail rabbit (Sylvilagus floridanus mearnsi) – as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

We determined that the petition presents substantial information that listing of the prairie gray fox and the plains spotted skunk as endangered or threatened may be warranted due to the present or threatened destruction, modification, or curtailment of its habitat or range; disease or predation; and other natural or man-made factors. We determined that the petitioners did not present substantial information that the population of Mearn’s eastern cottontail in east-central Illinois and western Indiana meets the criteria for a DPS.

The Service will undertake a more thorough status review of the plains spotted skunk and prairie gray fox to determine whether to propose adding the species to the federal lists of endangered and threatened wildlife and plants.

To ensure the status reviews of the plains spotted skunk and prairie gray fox are comprehensive, the Service is soliciting information from state and federal natural resource agencies and all interested parties regarding the animals and their habitat.

You may submit information on the prairie gray fox and the plains spotted skunk, by one of the following methods:

(1) Electronically: Go to the Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Search for Docket No. FWS–R3–ES–2012–0079, which is the docket number for this action. Then click on the Search button. You may submit a comment by clicking on “Comment Now!”

(2) By hard copy: Submit by U.S. mail or hand-delivery to: Public Comments Processing, Attn: FWS–R3–ES–2012–0079; Division of Policy and Directives Management; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, MS 2042–PDM; Arlington, VA 22203.

The deadline to submit comments electronically to the Federal eRulemaking Portal is February 4, 2013. After that date, comments must be mailed to the address above. We will not accept e-mail or faxes.

For more information on the two subspecies and this finding, along with information on listing, the petition process, and distinct population segments, please visit www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered You can also contact Mr. Chris Davidson by email [email protected], or telephone - (501) 513-4481.

Sincerely,

Jim Boggs

Jim Boggs

Field Supervisor

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Arkansas Field Office

110 South Amity Road, Suite 300

Conway, Arkansas 72032

(501) 513-4475 - work

(501) 513-4480 - fax

(501) 730-3710 - mobile

[email protected]

2. Doekila

Doekila Well-Known Member

Appreciate the poat

3. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

The only spotted skunk I have ever seen I caught in a trap in 1978. Is there a difference between a prairie gray fox and the gray foxes in Arkansas? Gray foxes are common where I live.

4. mwmwbm

mwmwbm Well-Known Member

i think we have the eastern spotted skunk not the plains (no that i ever seen either). not sure about the prairie gray fox

5. steve72444

steve72444 Well-Known Member

Shoot bury shut up........

6. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I read part of the report and the spotted skunk I caught was probably the endangered kind mine had very little white on it. The Fox part is hard to understand. I think there are more gray foxes than bobcats where I hunt. I could see the FWS banning trapping altogether if the gray foxes we have are the ones in question.

7. gregh

gregh Well-Known Member

Is there any where the public can leave comments on this.

8. neotoxo

neotoxo Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner

9. gunswapper

gunswapper Well-Known Member

I asked Blake Sasse with the AR Game & Fish if the spotted skunk and gray fox we have here were the same species as the ones in this petition and he said they were. I checked the results of Southwestern Arkansas Fur Takers' fur sales from 2003 through 2012 and found only one civet cat (spotted skunk) sold. It was in 2005. It sold for $12.00. I have seen a few go through Arkansas Trappers Association fur sales in the last few years. The gray fox is definately not endangered in Arkansas.