Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you hog hunters. I was thinking thinking a heading out to petit jean during turkey season for some hogs. Where is the best place to go? And is it legal to carry slugs for hunting them with as long as I'm carrying my 12 gauge. I know I have to carry a weapon that is legal for the season, or should I just carry my bow? I'm trying to get my father-in-law to come up and hunt with me.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Question for you hog hunters. I was thinking thinking a heading out to petit jean during turkey season for some hogs. Where is the best place to go? And is it legal to carry slugs for hunting them with as long as I'm carrying my 12 gauge. I know I have to carry a weapon that is legal for the season, or should I just carry my bow? I'm trying to get my father-in-law to come up and hunt with me.

It's only legal to shoot them with the Shot you use for Turkeys during Turkey season in a WMA.............

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no buckshot huh? But coyote season if open at the same time, so I can use my trusty .22, or some predator rounds in my shotgun.

·
Registered
605 Posts
where do you begin to find them around petit jean? I have only been up there once (during the summer) but didn't see any sign in the two places we hiked.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, so the bow it is. I'd rather shoot a pig with an arrow then a .22 anyways. Thanks for the help. I really need to read the whole regulations, before I go. But I was going to carry the bow anyways.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
All I can say is this: If you go hog huntin' on public land during turkey season be prepared to meet some pissed off turkey hunters along the way. :eek:

.270Win

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
there used to be a bunch in the santa fe area, haven't been there in a few years so not sure if they are still around:thumb:

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Check the Blackland Moist Soil areas, and around Alvy Mountain (both sides, but look real hard on the north side) south of the Slaty Crossing bridge.

Those used to be the hot spots for hogs. But I aint been in there in a few years.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I figured they were on agfc website, but I can't get the links to work on my computer. At least not from their website. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Think there will be many turkey hunters out there this weekend? I might just have to check it out, but I don't want to bother anybody. I'll probably just wait a few more weeks till spring squirrel opens.

·
Super Member<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner
995 Posts
I can definitely report no hogs around slaty crossing area, I been deer hunting there for the past few years hard and I have yet to see hog sign. Years ago when I hunted there, there were hogs all over it but not anymore. The hogs are on the far west edge of petit jean wma, closest to Danville. There is a huge power line that crosses the wma, that is where I would go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts