Persimmon Saplings

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by Dixiehunter, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dixiehunter

Dixiehunter Well-Known Member

I have a dozen or so very large persimmon trees here at the house. Been thinking about transplanting some saplings to our hunting spot. The area where the mature trees are located is a grown up field so, other than a few cedars, there aren't many other trees there.

I have marked close to 2 dozen saplings on the south side of one group of persimmon trees and I would have to believe they would be persimmon saplings but, is there any way to know for sure? The range in size from 4'to 8'
    tall.

Any info would be appreciated. I can post some pics if that would help.

Thanks, Dix

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

3. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

You do know that there is a male and female persimmon and that the males don't bear fruit?

4. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I do....:up:

5. i had 4 persimmon trees about that size on my food plot, none produced, they'll be gone next year. What we did was we went around the whole property of 100 acres and tagged the smaller persimmon trees that actually HAD FRUIT ON THEM this year. Going to try to trasplant a few onto my hunting area in the next few month. Also gotta read up on doing that...like when's best etc. but that's the plan. Find them WHEN they have fruit, then you can't go wrong on whether they will bear fruit or not.....

6. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

if you can't tell which is and is not persimmon i think you can wait till leaves start coming out for positive ID. don't wait too late in spring, be sure and keep plenty of water when it gets hot this summer.

7. angus

angus Well-Known Member

Plant Kieffer pears. Plant dolgo crabapples. They will bear just as early.