Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home this evening and done everything I normal do or at least if I did something different I haven't figured what. Got to my stand about 4:30 and proceed to systematically get busted by 3 different doe at different times by 6:30. I'm not talking being under me and catching me move, I'm talking 50 yards out....stop dead in their tracks and change directions.

I'm just not used to that happening.

Here's where I'm needing your opinions. I know there's a pretty nice buck using the area and with the does getting me the way they were I decided to get down and easy out because of the fear that if the buck did happen to show I'd get the same results as with the does.....BUSTED. What would y'all have done take the risk and hunt until dark or would you do what I done, call it a day.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Are you sure it was you they were busting and not a yote, dog, or bobcat running around?

I would of probably stayed. Your busted at that point regardless of what happens. Sometimes those hiefers just start blowing for no reason at all:confused:

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I usually stay, I figure you have left your scent in the area, might as well tough it out and see. If a buck is gonna spook from scent you left behind either on the ground or brush, or whatever, then he is gonna spook regardless of you being there. (unless you are upwind of him)

Besides I have seen several deer spook and 5 minutes later more come by the same spot and not spook, who knows.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These deer were in different locations from me and none downwind. They hadn't crossed the trail I came in on either. Something just wasn't right. I put my clothes under a black-light to see if there was any UV problems and my shirt had a slight glow in a few short narrow strips but nothing major. Other than that I can't find nothing wrong. I usually do a pretty good job of scent control or at least I'm guessing I do because I have a lot of deer walk the same trail I do and I've had deer under all but one trip this year so far.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,500 Posts
I reckon they can hear that stand as it's going up...they don't know where it is, but they know what it is. That's why I bought those two lockons from bojack....they are where they are, and I can get in and out like an ***** scout:fit::up:

·
Registered
20,506 Posts
Just me, but I would have still hung out. Deer in my area have coyotes and bobcats all over and they would never have a pattern if they spook on every coyote/bobcat scent. On the UV, that is a problem in real low light. Have had some pick me out before years ago, but keeping still they went back to their normal routine. I never wash clothes in normal detergent now.

But staying or leaving is the question, and I most likely would have stayed. Who knows if a buck would have came in and spooked like them if there was no way it was the scent that caused them to spook.

Could they have possibly sky lighted you?

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the UV, that is a problem in real low light.... but keeping still they went back to their normal routine.
It was pretty cloudy here during this time. I've read a black-light is a good way to check your camo for UV brighteners and if that's true it shouldn't have been a problem with no more than it showed. And I never tried to stand up on these deer, didn't really have a chance.

Could they have possibly sky lighted you?
I don't think so. I'm in a good sized tree and it was behind me and I've got good cover in front of me especially looking from the trails.

Maybe it was just one of those days. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It was pretty cloudy here during this time. I've read a black-light is a good way to check your camo for UV brighteners and if that's true it shouldn't have been a problem with no more than it showed. And I never tried to stand up on these deer, didn't really have a chance.

I don't think so. I'm in a good sized tree and it was behind me and I've got good cover in front of me especially looking from the trails.

Maybe it was just one of those days. :dontknow:
Take that white and orange Texas longhorn cap off and replace it with a camo one :biggrin:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take that white and orange Texas longhorn cap off and replace it with a camo one :biggrin:
A couple of years ago I actually killed one with my bow while wearing my Longhorn cap.:thumb:

I've just about got it narrowed down to that they know where the stand should be (at the base of the tree) and it wasn't there, I say that because it seemed they were looking more at the base of the tree rather than up at me. I think I'll move a little ways and do a better job of hiding the stand at ground level.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a different look at it.. The air is fairly heavy today hence the low cloud cover, humidity due to rain.. Even if the wind is not blowing the scent left stays close to the ground, hovering, and not dispersing.. If you know someone that smokes or smoke yourself, on days like today you notice they smell more of it, and the smoke does not go into the air like it does on a dry, hot day. Even though your 20 something feet in the air, if your scent fails to rise and instead falls that could be the problem.. If your in bottomland that just makes it worst. Just an outlook though, somin to think about.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.