Permanent Stands on Public WMA’s

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by dumptruck70, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ridgesaddle

Ridgesaddle Well-Known Member

Right: those are the trees which now (and in the future) have (or will have) nails and spikes embedded in them.......

2. JoeJ

JoeJ Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Don't cut the tree down. Parts of Wattensaw have been logged with white oaks and cedar taken out. Besides 40 years is a long time and the nails have rusted away long ago.

N8HARNER likes this.

3. Whistling wings

Whistling wings Well-Known Member

Put spikes in all of them that way they won't cut them.

JoeJ, N8HARNER and cmf88 like this.
  4. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

I'd rather have someone use my stand than take or destroy it. Therefore that's what I do. I just hunt around for others stands to hunt. Easy scouting and I don't have to worry about my stands being stolen

Onetrakd likes this.
  5. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

That’s what I’ve done for years.

HEVI D likes this.
  6. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    He learned that from you....

7. trapsetter1

trapsetter1 Well-Known Member

Ozark, AR
    last year I didn't have a stand to stand on and walk around 10 miles every day hunting. while I was doing all that walking I found many stands and walked right past them. this year I had a climber and went up any tree I felt like climbing. both seasons none of the stands I found moved any time threw the season and they were all on WMA.

pharmdeez and N8HARNER like this.
  8. ursus

ursus Well-Known Member

I ignore stands on public land unless someone is on them. The idea of "claiming" a piece of public property is rediculous.

N8HARNER likes this.
  9. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

IMG_4477.jpg
    I wonder how long this one has been here?

JohnnieWalker and Rockcreek like this.
  10. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

That stand might be a little uncomfortable to sit in but it ain't going anywhere.

B725 and Dave57 like this.
  11. Tugman

Tugman Well-Known Member

I’d say about as long as this one.
    EF252B98-F20F-4996-BEFA-121587B99156.jpeg

12. ptgarner1

ptgarner1 Well-Known Member

Once at Winona , I had looked at satellite images and chose and area...walked all the way in with my climber and found a single person stand. Shot a doe out of it 30 minutes later.
    I would rather a person use my stand than steal it or destroy it. If I was in another persons stand and they walked up...I would leave....I often have a 2 person stand up at Bell Slough to hunt with my boy otherwise I use a climber. Seems I left it up a week to long and it disappeared?

13. Ridgesaddle

Ridgesaddle Well-Known Member

Right: tell that to anyone who has ever run into metal deep inside a tree while cutting wood with a chainsaw, or while wood was going thru a sawmill, which is the main reason that timber companies who lease land for huhting specifically prohibit nailing or screwing anything into a tree!!!

Punkinseed likes this.
  14. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Every WMA or National Forest I've ever hunted on I ran into permanent stands. Even in designated wilderness areas. I just ignored them. Never saw anyone in one of them.

15. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

I’ve had game wardens ask me if certain stands were mine in this one spot I was hunting. I left it there for a year because it flooded and I didn’t want to mess with it during the summer. The day I got down he was at my truck when I came back. He said he was coming to see if the stand was still there and to remove it himself. I find stands all over that are growing into trees and it’s quite stupid. People call you a thief if you remove stands that’s been sitting for years with zero activity, but then they complain cause you are ruining timber.

Johnjpa808 likes this.
  16. Johnjpa808

Johnjpa808 Member

I would leave a note and then if it wasn’t removed or replied I would hunt it. You would be surprised how many stands I have seen in the woods and cameras I won’t touch other people’s stuff but if a stand clearly has been left since the season before I will use it.

17. Johnjpa808

Johnjpa808 Member

Where I hunt though lots of stands are out and I try to avoid them because honestly these guys make it hard to hunt.