People who dump dogs suck

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by ArkGirl, Jul 6, 2020.

1. firehog

firehog Well-Known Member

I get dogs and cats dumped at camp all the time. Right now I have a cat that showed up and I suspect was dumped and she now is our barn cat. She's stays at camp and we feed her once a week. Which is hard because the coons come in and wipe out the food. But she will hear us pull up and she's coming to the road. She's the most loving cat and my wife loves her. The only problem is when I go up to hunt she follows me to the stand. I figured out I have to grab her and put her in the cabin before I walk to the stand. 799DD5B6-19FF-4108-862B-BDC65F18EA9B.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    45-70hunter, sparkie, ArkGirl and 4 others like this.
  2. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Nice thing you are doing, hope you can gain his trust & save him. I'd be concerned about coyotes....if they're in the area. Let us know how this goes.

sparkie likes this.

3. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Moderator Staff Member

Yeah...coyotes are a concern for sure. The first day we know he was over there he sat there kinda howling/crying when we were out feeding the horses...he likely could hear us... and I just knew a coyote would hear and come investigate. Now that we are feeding him he has been quiet. His defense instinct when he sees people is to run and get into the metal culvert on the driveway of that place or run back onto that vacant property.

sparkie and R6mm like this.
  4. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    Looks like a good confidence decoy.

sparkie, John Stiles and firehog like this.
  5. firehog

She’s a good kitten

sparkie likes this.
  6. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    Not sure what to say...

sparkie, John Stiles, firehog and 2 others like this.
  7. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those claws would give Wolverine a run for his money!

sparkie and firehog like this.
  8. firehog

No you can’t have her.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    TJKRide and sparkie like this.
  9. firehog

Yes , her and Murp have come to an agreement when he goes up. She snagged him on the nose and now he has a new found respect for cats. She lit him up.

JB Weld and sparkie like this.
  10. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    This might sound harsh but folks need to be responsible and do their own culling.

11. When running deer dogs was more prevalent we'd end up with discarded culls every year. Sad but I had to put some down.

sparkie, John Stiles and Allenn like this.
  12. Speaking of cats when I was first married, young with a shrizzled brain and experience component I made a serious mistake underestimating cats. Even the SMALLEST kitten is capable of murder and mayhem. And the gallery said amen.

We had a small kitten I was carrying around and walked out by my dog pen where my coon dogs stayed.

They had a fit of course and I was teasing them with kitty cat. The cat took a different view.

Scared he clawed for traction with his razor sharp claws. He left and I held up my bleeding arm. It had multiple pieces of skin hanging down with bloody grooves where they once lived. I remember blood dripping from the ends of the skin fragments. Since then I look at cats will a much greater appreciation of their ability... Especially under stress.

So don't aggravate a poor cat unless your name is to be changed to Claude Hiney.

sparkie likes this.
  13. tomhunter

tomhunter Well-Known Member

All over
    ^^We had a feral kitten that showed up at our house about a year ago. That was the meanest cat I've ever seen.

sparkie likes this.
  14. lawson6565

lawson6565 Well-Known Member

i agree. like you said, that is probably the most humane thing you could do for an unwanted dog.. the pounds are over run with them .

sparkie likes this.
  15. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Moderator Staff Member

If we do manage to tame this pup we will make sure it has a good home. Hopefully with someone else...but still. We will take the responsibility that it's previous owner clearly did not. If it's dangerous or suffering...we will do what we have to. But we aren't even close to that yet.

16. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Many years ago, my sister & her husband had a couple of feral cats come around their house in a rural area just outside of LR. They fed them outside, but one managed to run inside the house one night before she could shut the door. It got behind the refrigerator & wouldn't come out. Her husband came home & they both were trying to get the cat out of there. It got aggressive & tore up my sisters arm, & still wouldn't come out. Her husband got mad & shot the thing while it was behind the refrigerator with a .22. Took the cat to be tested for rabies, & was negative. He shot every feral cat that came around, after that.

TJKRide, Onetrakd and tomhunter like this.
  17. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

East End
    If that ain’t country...

18. Koyote

Koyote Well-Known Member

Oh that’s nothing we had a rat get inside our house and you can’t catch them suckers so we cornered it in the dining room and I got my brothers little BB gun and started shooting at that sucker and I swear those bbs just bounced right off that thing. I must of got a few good hits in cause it was bleeding when it ran out and my stepdad was able to clobber it with his cane. So it was like a shooting gallery that night, and luckily nothing was damaged in the house, I just wasn’t going to sleep with a rat in the house!

AR Thumper likes this.
  19. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Lol. Yeah, I asked him if he thought about house damage before he shot…..he said no, he was mad. Said the bullet didn't hit anything but the floor, & it was only a small hole behind the refrigerator that nobody could see...:D

TJKRide likes this.
  20. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

And the USA is over run with humans...reckon what about that?