Peep sight vs no Peep sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ArkyVarminter, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ArkyVarminter

ArkyVarminter Well-Known Member

I have bowhunted for years and know that most people use a peep sight. It is vital for consistent accuracy but can be a headache in low light conditions such as dusky dark. Who on here has done away with their peep in order to be able to shoot later? AND how long did it take you to get good groups without it?.................:wink:

2. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

will never give it up, but did sacrifice some accuracy by getting a very large peep sight for low light

3. ArkyVarminter

That is another option...

4. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

X2, can't see myself without the peep, but a large one will make a big difference when in low light conditions.

Carl

5. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

I refuse to use a peep. I use a kisser button and has for a long time. I use the crotch of my hand to anchor back of my jaw bone. I am pretty accurate. I can shoot earlier nor later to squeeze few more minutes in.:twocents:

6. ArkyVarminter

The way I anchor I may be able to make it without a peep. I anchor below my ear with my nose touching the string. I know that that those few extra minutes can be the difference in killing a deer vs no shot or worse, crippling one...

7. Yell County Bowhunter

Yell County Bowhunter Well-Known Member

I didn't use one for years, started using one this year and in three weeks of Practice, I had two Robin hoods...:up:

8. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

You might think this is a fib, but I can shoot as accurate without one as I can with one out to about 40 yards. I did it for years. The last few years I've started shooting out to 80yds just for kicks at the house and it helps me at longer distances and thats why I'm using a peep now. When I shoot further distances or from an elavated stand my form apparently suffers and makes for some challenges. You'll learn to bend at the waist. If I wasn't shooting past 30-40 yards I'd take mine out. With that said, I don't know if the extra 2 minutes you'll get from shooting without one is worth it. JMO!

9. ArkyVarminter

Well, 40 yards is about as far as I would shoot at a deer so If i could shoot like you, without one, I would take mine off. I have many times had deer under me and I couldn't shoot simply because of that little hole..

10. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I understand. You can do it as long as you anchor consistently everytime. Thats where I would get in trouble at longer distance or shooting downhill. I was looking around that string at a slightly different location. Just mark your string where your peep is tied in and take it out and give it a try. If you dont like it just reinstall it. Its worth trying. I've shot several right as the last light faded, so I know where your coming from. I just wouldnt recommend it for everyone.:thumb:

11. x3

12. gutpile

gutpile Well-Known Member

i shoot without, its easy to keep both eyes fully open to get a better veiw of what is going on around you. just anchor the same every time and its easy:thumb:

13. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

I prefer a peep sight. If I can't get a shot because of low light, it was just the deer's lucky day. :up:

14. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

I think about this more and more everyday. Would love to go peepless, just don't have much faith in myself lol. Maybe I'll give it a try in the offseason.

15. dnorton

dnorton Member

just get comfortable with an anchor point and you won't need the peep. Some use the strings, some use the fletching, some use the hand....find what works for you and practice. I picked up my first compound in 89' and I have never had a peep. I practice with guys that shoot peeps, and don't see any differences in the groupings. I do know that in a drizzle, low light, or icy conditions, they all have had problems....but I haven't.