Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is legal to take my shotgun to say Ouachita, find an open patch of land off the road and pattern my gun?

It will be hard for me to pattern a gun at a public range since they shoot for 20 mins at a time. So a single shot every 20 mins would take forever.

I don't really have any other access to private land or "outside city limits" spots.

·
Premium Member
29,753 Posts
Public land - as long as it is Forest Service or Corps - should be fine - squirrel season is open. Not sure I would go to a WMA - they don't necessarily open when statewide seasons open.

·
Premium Member
17,831 Posts
Most WMAs expressly prohibit target practice. I don't know how serious they'd be about it, but I don't want to get caught doing it.

Sry I don't know about Corp or National Forrest land.

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
6,498 Posts
Does anyone know if it is legal to take my shotgun to say Ouachita, find an open patch of land off the road and pattern my gun?

It will be hard for me to pattern a gun at a public range since they shoot for 20 mins at a time. So a single shot every 20 mins would take forever.

I don't really have any other access to private land or "outside city limits" spots.
I've done it before with pistols, never had any issues. What part of Ouachita? The Pigeon Roost range in Bonnerdale is usually pretty empty.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I would not do it on a WMA. I scout a lot in the off season. There have been several times I have had bullets go by fairly close to me because someone thought the middle of the summer would be a good time to shoot their 22, pistol, or rifle on the public land down the street. There may still be people in the woods. There is a big difference between what you want to do and what a lot of idiots do on public land with rifles in the off season. It is hard to not see what is behind your target with a shotgun and bird shot. I still think it is illegal on WMA's.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive done a lot of target shooting in the Winona. Never had any problems. Just get a ways off any main roads like Trail 86 and find a safe place to fire. Take some lunch, cold beer or pop and enjoy the day!

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Ive done a lot of target shooting in the Winona. Never had any problems. Just get a ways off any main roads like Trail 86 and find a safe place to fire. Take some lunch, cold beer or pop and enjoy the day!
Well just be sure you have a good back stop to shoot into...watching out for those of us riding horses there in the woods in the off season please. It's my understanding that it's not entirely kosher to be target shooting there...but folks do.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well just be sure you have a good back stop to shoot into...watching out for those of us riding horses there in the woods in the off season please. It's my understanding that it's not entirely kosher to be target shooting there...but folks do.
What's the difference if its a squirrel running on the ground or half way up the tree? It's a shotgun not a rifle

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
No offense folks, but this is how crazy and politically correct our society has become !!!!!
Example A: Here we have a law abiding citizen wanting to pattern his shotgun, which has a very limited range.
He is willing to drive from Redfield t the Ouachita National Forrest ( 2.5 to 3 hour round trip) to pattern his shotgun that he paid sales tax on &
wants to shoot his shotgun on public land in the middle of a vast national forest and some on here are telling him not to pattern his shotgun!!!!!

Joe 713, I have a 175 yard range behind my house here in Hot Springs. You are more than welcome to pattern your shotgun here,
but I would not worry about patterning your shotgun in the ONF.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in Bryant now, but it's still 40 mins each way. I hear what you're saying though. I dint see why target practice wouldn't be safe but hunting with firearms would be....but as someone suggested I'll just cal the AGFC or the forest rangers.

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
What's the difference if its a squirrel running on the ground or half way up the tree? It's a shotgun not a rifle
I was talking to the guy I quoted that says he "Target Shoots" in Winona. NOT the OP patterning a Shotgun. FWIW

I decided to call the number for Winona to see what is actually allowed. They said you absolutely cannot target shoot in the WMA. Further they said that if you are caught with/shooting a caliber/type of gun that is not allowed for the game species currently in season...you can be charged with hunting out of season etc. Sighting in rifles, target shooting etc. Is against the law as I suspected. Will folks continue to do so? I'm sure they will. Do I care all that much? Not really. But we ride there in the off season to avoid messing up the hunt for folks and to hopefully not have to worry about stuff like that. It is what it is.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Joe, have you tried the range up at Camp Robinson SUA? I live in south LR and it takes me about 22 minutes to get there, and about 10-12 to get to Bryant, depending on where exactly. There are some bruisers up there too!:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.