Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking a little advice for my hunting partner. We patterned his new BX-2 last weekend, and the results were very disappointing.
We stepped off 40 Yards, put a 12" circle on poster board and went to shooting (modified choke).....results are below (# of shot in 12" circle):
3.5" Blind Side #2 - 8 pellets
3.5" Win X-pert #2 - 12 pellets
3.5" Blind Side BB - 12 pellets
3.5" Kent # 3 - 14 pellets

3" Win X-pert #2 - 15 pellets
3" Kent #6 - 50 pellets

2.75" Win #6 - 51 pellets

We hunt fields, and he is looking to buy a waterfowl choke to tighten up this pattern. Do these numbers look normal for a Beretta? For you BX-2 owners, which waterfowl choke have you had success with?

Thanks,
JMc

·
Premium Member
14,788 Posts
For a modified choke and the shot sizes your using it's normal.. 40 yards is pushing the limit for a modified choke.. Working from memory I believe 32-34 yards is about the max recommended yardage for a modified.. I can't help with what new choke would work best but I'm sure someone that uses that gun for field hunting will speak up sooner or later..:up:

·
Registered
7 Posts
jmcbride - I think your choke may have an issue... I have an xtrema and shoot 3.5" Win X-pert #2. @ 40yds with my mod choke I am putting right about 20-25 pellets in that circle. I recently just learned I get a better tighter pattern out of the #3's though. I have been thinking about getting a Kicks for it. Remember the book says not to use any of their chokes tighter than modified for steel shot. Keep that in mind. I hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I shoot the same gun and purchased the new code black choke. So far I like it but when you move to timber you may want to move back to the Modified. Also keep in mind that when you use a tighter choke pattern with 3.5" it widens your pattern a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.