Paper tuning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by archeryman.501, Jun 27, 2020.

1. archeryman.501

archeryman.501 Well-Known Member

Ok let's talk tuning. Switching from mechanical broadheads back to fixed this year so I am in the process of tuning. My question is #1 do you still paper tune your bows?
    #2 do you bare shaft or fletched shaft tune?
    #3 what distance do you shoot at when paper tuning?

2. Useyourbow

Useyourbow Well-Known Member

Yes, I still do.
    Fletched
    3-4’

Everyone has they’re opinions about paper tune but I entrust in the process and get field point accuracy and same point of impact With fixed blade broadheads all the way out to 70 yards. I used to bare shaft back when I used aluminum.

3. APBT

APBT Well-Known Member

This is all personal preference. I paper tune, walk back tune and sometimes bare shaft tune but Finding the natural rotation of your arrow will help with fixed blades. 6’ is normally where I stand for paper tuning.
    I’ve had really good luck with match weighting my arrows also.

4. Mo/Ark

Mo/Ark Well-Known Member

I have foregone paper in favor of bare shaft. I start close with target at shoulder height, then eventually move back checking as I go. I stop at 20 yards. I shoot the 2 inch wide simmons tree sharks out of my compound, and I found this tuning method best to get those huge blades flying true. Ymmv

5. buddy08

buddy08 Well-Known Member

I get a close tune using bareshaft shooting through paper at about 10-15 yards. Next I broadhead tune since that’s what I’m gonna be shooting ultimately. I want my broadhead and field points flying together. I check them out to about 40 yards.

6. archeryman.501

I can get a fletched arrow to paper tune but not a bare shaft

7. Useyourbow

The challenge with bare shaft tune only is you may have fetching contact that is not detected with bare shaft.

8. APBT

APBT Well-Known Member

Could be because of your form or grip, not adding weight to the back of the arrow to compensate for fletchings.

9. Useyourbow

QuailRidge likes this.
  10. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

Bismarck
    Shim cams a few thousands right.... Papertune is excellent starting point....but not the end all of tune. I have seen bows bare shaft bullet hole and still not shoot broadhead worth a dang....I've seen bows throw broadhead and field trips perfect at 80 yards and have a ½" paper tear.
    I am a big fan of tune it like you shoot it (hunting bow) I don't hunt without fletchings....So I don't tune without fletchings. Fletchings weigh 18gr on average and change the dynamic spine of your arrow. The most important thing for a hunting bow is to have broadhead and field trips banging together at 40 yards....if this is happening I don't care what paper or bareshaft does. Now if you can get your bare shaft and fletched arrows hitting together at 20+ yards then odds are you are really close.

Remember when papertune to shoot at minimum of 6' and again at 12' ....Sometimes you can catch your arrow in a node where it bullet holes...then move forward or back and it tears. It needs to bullet hole at all spots.

GF

cmf88 likes this.
  11. archeryman.501

20 yards bare shaft and fletched. Both field points and both aiming at the center dot 20200629_173154.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:45 PM
  12. archeryman.501

I have tested 350, 300, and 250 spine with points from 150-300 grains

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM
  13. archeryman.501

I did finally get a bullet hole with a bare shaft BUT my arrow was pointed way to the left while sitting on the string and rest and I was gripping the bow like a newbie who had picked up a bow for the 1st time.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:27 PM
  14. archeryman.501

My bow is an Elite V37 set at 60 pounds with a 30" draw
    and QAD ultra hunter rest

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:45 PM
  15. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

I’m not the expert a lot of these other guys are but when tuning a recurve a bare shaft left is too stiff spine for a right hand shooter. It’s too weak for a lefty.

16. APBT

APBT Well-Known Member

What arrow set up are you running out of the bow?

17. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

Bismarck
    As I've said.....cams need shimming

18. archeryman.501

350, 300, 250 spine with 150-300 grain tip. Just trying to get it to tune out and see what I want to shoot

19. APBT

APBT Well-Known Member

Have you tried anything lower than 150 up front? Also try adding a different nock or just nock tuning.